Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Does my dad hate? Or disappointed in me?

So, here is my situation. 

I’m 17, turning 18 in August, and my dad hardly ever wants anything to do with me. He always picks on me, calls me names and talks about my weight in a bad way.

I don’t drive yet as I don’t have a car or a license. I had a car we were gonna well last year for a Tahoe but instead he gave it to his girlfriend (the woman my dad cheated on my mom with). So I just never bothered to get my license. Resulting in me not being able to get a job, which he also wants me to have

My little sister is treated like his only child. He bought her a guitar last year and is getting her a new one, with an amo and foot pedal this week. I play acoustic guitar and ask for accessories but my dad says I don’t need them because he says I don’t know how to play it, I just pick it

I also know how to play piano. I asked for a Nintendo Piano Sheet Book for like 7$ and my dad said no because he says I can’t play piano (this was the same day my dad told my sister she was getting a new guitar and stuff) and he has heard me play multiple full songs on both my instruments

My grandmother actually gave me her acoustic piano because she doesn’t play it as much but he keeps it in the shop. I’ve asked him to put it in the house, like in my room or living room, and he says it wouldn’t matter because I “don’t even know how to play piano”

I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried to talk to him but he says I’m being dramatic, need to move on. Any idea what is going on? I’m r what I should do?

you need to ask him this question

You are a lazy spoiled brat who mooches off your parents. 

Get a life

He wants you to move out but you refuse to. You can get a car on your own but you refuse to since you want one handed to you. You whine about not getting a job but you can get one. 

Your sister is younger then you and you are a legal adult so he can get what he wants for her while you are simply lazy and want hand outs

Why should he move the piano into HIS house? You need to move out and stop making demands 

I'd kick you out if you where my kid

Dad likely did buy you stuff, pay for stuff, and give you your own way a number of times in your life. Not this year.

I had a full time job working 5 nights a week at 17 using public transportation. Didn't get a license till I was nearly 19 and could afford an old beater car. I was living in a heavily populated area at the time so there was public transportation. I guess you are living somewhere that doesn't have that going on.

It's annoying as all heck. And you want it to mean your Dad hates you when you know he's been on your side for at least 15 years. Maybe he's gotten a little crazier since you became a teenager. Most Dads don't know what the heck to do with teenage daughters. I'm sorry about that.

Negotiate a petty cash (allowance) fund with your parents. Do chores and stuff for pocket money. If you want to buy a $7.00 book of music, I'd like you to be able to purchase it yourself if it hurts you that Dad wouldn't do it. Carrying hundreds of little wounds can actually result in bad health. Sounds like you need pocket money to budget for your own. So you'll be prepared to budget for your own when you start earning money.

Print out this question, sit him down, tell him about Yahoo Answers and then tell him that out of desperation you wrote a question asking for advice and show it to him. Get his response. Try to turn it into a discussion about the way he treats you, and why.

He's probably getting revenge on someone emotionally tied to you by sabotaging you. Just like the way I hate my mother and how I wanted my little brother to suffer the same as me when he grew up so that my Mom would have nothing but failed children. I actually wanted my brother to suffer and fail just to hurt my mother. I know it's not fair, but people are like this, including myself, maybe even you.

maybe you need to ask your dad this question

You did mention that your dad calls you names and picks on you. If it's aggressive enough, it should be reported to the authorities. I don't know which part of the world you are living in, but if your country has a harrassment law, then take advantage of it.