can I get a copyright for a YouTube video?

I am working on a short film that I plan on releasing on my YouTube channel.  I have composed my own music (piano) for the film and have spent about a year shooting video footage.  I put in a lot of work.  Can I get a copyright for something like this?  Or would the short film have to be released through some establishment in order to get one?

• Lv 7

once it is published on YouTube, there is an automatic copyright. it puts the date uploaded right under the video, so you know when it was posted. nobody is allowed to use your YouTube videos without permission.

you can file an official copyright, but those cost a lot of money.

The answer is yes. You may need to consider getting legal copyright protection for your work first before uploading it on YouTube. Be sure to add the copyright notice at the end of the video and in the description to warn them not to copy your work without your expressed permission. Copyright protection will also be a weapon against people who infringe on your work.

You get copyright on it by posting it.  Nobody can copy your work without your permission.  It really is that simple.