Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why are academics arrogant?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Academics grow up being told academic success is the pinnacle of success. So when an academic reaches the pinnacle of academics, they believe they themselves are the pinnacle of success and others not reaching their degree of accomplishments are inferior. Not all, but many are indeed this way.

In other words, what academics value is academic accomplishment and unfortunately anyone going through college/grad school is being graded/judged by someone who's entire life has been spent focused on school and has likely been at the top of their class since Jr. High. They sacrifice their lives for their work and cant understand anyone who would commit any less for their studies. It becomes hard for them to see any other way of life as equal.

Additionally, there is a bit of a selection bias. This means that the truly arrogant are more likely to succeed. See, being successful in the academic world requires that you make yourself seem a lot more important than you probably actually are. It shows in the way scholarly papers and grants are written (which are the currency for success in academia), where you must convince others that what you want to do/have done is worth millions of dollars in grants. If you do not have the skills for making yourself feel/sound important, chances are you wont make it in academia. Therefore, the people who actually believe the nonsense they write about themselves are most likely to write a convincing grant; this functionally selects for the most authentically arrogant people. 

The next question you should ask is: What is the potential danger of having academia ran by arrogant people?. There are some pretty scary consequences of this that I wont get into. But dang. Its a problem.

Source(s): Ph.D in Neuroscience. Work in Academia. Am part of the problem. I am the best and what I said is absolutely correct.
    • ...Show all comments
    • ActionXPotential
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

True, I did generalize to the bio-science world regarding grant funding and further generalized to major institutions. However the concept still applies. And I agree that our salaries should be far greater than they are considering 60-80 hour weeks with doctoral degrees.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

for the same reason that tall ones

need to look down on short ones.

• cool
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Because they are victims of the abuse which the educational system heaps upon children.

The same principle applies to Doctors, Civil Servants etc.

All educational institutions are satanic.

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

A few are.  The arrogant academician, however, is far rarer than those who have a chip on their shoulder over not having a college degree.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Because they mistakenly believe that education makes them smarter than the ones they look down their noses art. Some of the most educated people I have ever known were the most childish people emotionally I have ever known, plus many didn't possess a lick of common sense.

• ...Show all comments
    • ActionXPotential
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Academics grow up being told academic success is the pinnacle of success. So when an academic reaches the pinnacle of academics, they believe they themselves are the pinnacle of success and others not reaching their degree of accomplishments are inferior. Not all, but many are indeed this way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.