Can a dresser and bedframe I got froma home after a fire harm me?

I recieved two dressers and a bedframe that belonged to my deceased  father from my sisters home after she had a house fire. Until I am able to efficiently clean it is it safe to be in my home with my children and pets? There was no soot that I could see and I sprayed it down and wiped it up but it still has a smoke scent. I dont want anyone getting sick.

• keerok

The heat from the fire would have killed whatever germs or molds that have been living in it. Just give it a new coat of paint or varnish and all will be fine. Consider it a priceless heirloom.

If you wash them down and make sure all the residual smoke and soot are gone then they should be fine.

I have a dresser, nightstand, headboard and frame, dining room table that came from a fire.  I washed everything in soap and water, then I wiped down the headboard right after with oil soap, a couple days later I used a lemon oil to protect it.  I washed the dressers down with a mild oil soap, dried the drawers inside and out and then wiped the outsides down with a wood polish to protect the surface.

All the furniture had mild smoke damage, but to be sure no chemical residue from the carpet and flooring from the main floor I made sure everything was washed until there was no soot color in the water.   I only paid $20.00 for 8 pieces of furniture, all in oak and would not have been able to afford it otherwise.  

After everything was washed down, cleaned up and aired out several days I moved them into usage.  I made sure there was no smoke smell to anything first.

The house that had been in fire was a bad kitchen fire and the bedroom doors had all been closed all the smoke damage was from smoke coming up the air vents and wasn’t as bad as it was on the main floor.

• Rick B

You can't seriously need to ask this. Really?????