Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 months ago

How do I bring up my PTSD with a doctor?

I just applied for approval for medical cannabis and I know that if I get approved I have to see a doctor to get my certificate. The main reason I am trying to get my card is for PTSD, aswell as my stomach pain, nausea and loss of appetite. I just don't know how to talk to the doctor about it. It gives me bad anxiety to even think of talking about it. I don't like talking about what happened, it makes my heart race, I start to breath fast, get lightheaded and I get really terrible anxiety from it. Even now, just typing this out. How would I bring it up in conversation when they ask. I don't want to be like, "I have PTSD," and for them to just think I am lying. 

I don't take any medications for it, and as for my stomach the medications they have given me do not work.

Did you get a diagnosis for PTSD from a psychiatrist? Just asking. And if you can't talk with your doctor about health concerns, who can you talk to? Doctors are there to help.

• Lili

I suggest that you ask your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist, because that's the kind of doctor you need.  Just tell him that you want to be evaluated for PTSD and ask for the name of a psychiatrist he would recommend.

It will be easier to discuss your PTSD with the psychiatrist knowing that he (or she) is a medical specialist in mental-health issues.

• LAN

Posting the same thing over and over only proves you are an attention who're and obvious liar.   The doctor would have to actually diagnose you before he would prescribe anything.   You are self diagnosed and a moron.   Did you fill out the form in purple crayon?

• LAN

Thanks for posting a comment that only proves me right about your lack of brains.

If your not capable of telling a doctor what your problem is when he asks

no idea what you can do.

not sure how that would work but bringing up the issue as a concern to your GP will probably get you a referral to a psychiatrist who can make an "accurate" assessment and recommend actual life affirming behaviors rather than just throw meds at you (although the doc will anyway because that's what the patient expects).