Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

If you leave eggs out of the fridge long enough do the chicken hatch?

I'm having a hard time getting my kids to put the eggs back in the fridge cause they want to see the chicken hatch. 

My son says he has seen his friend do it before, and he seems really sure about it and now I'm starting to second guess it

There's no way that's possible, right?

Update:

It hatched. My kid was right.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

if you crack open a egg that will hatch ie feterlized egg you will ussualy get a embryo that has done started to grow as in bones feathers seen happen

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

FFS I leant this when I was 9.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I never put eggs in the fridge. They keep well in a cool dry area like the pantry. They shouldn't hatch unless they are in a very warm spot or under a lamp.

• 4 months ago

If you're in America, 99% of the eggs you buy will not be fertilized eggs and will not hatch no matter where you keep them. You could put them into an incubator and they still won't hatch. Tell your children the facts of life here--eggs won't make baby chicks unless they are fertilized eggs. Explain fertilization (that it takes two--male and female--to make babies of ANY kind.)  If you don't live in America, you may or may NOT get fertilized eggs. But also: American eggs SHOULD be refrigerated. Most of the commercially produced ones are not viable enough to sit out without it because chickens and eggs are raised in factory farms where they produce eggshells that are far too thin. You risk salmonella by leaving these thin-shelled eggs out on the counter. If you buy eggs that are not produced that way, then you can leave them out for a while. 

Show your kids how to test for rotten eggs: put the raw egg into a bowl of water and if it sinks to the bottom, it's still good. If it floats, it's rotten and should be thrown away. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Just by the way, unless you live in a very hot climate, it's not necessary to keep eggs in the fridge.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Hey leave one out an find out.  

• 4 months ago

You'll have got the message, commercially produced eggs will not hatch since the hens have not "been with" a rooster. 

It's possible, though, that your son's friend has seen eggs from a flock running around a farmyard complete with rooster.  They can hatch, though they need to be kept warm either by being covered by the hen or put in an incubator.  They won't develop after being in a fridge.

• 4 months ago

Either you son or his friend is lying.

Chicken eggs sold in grocery stores are obatined in a way to guarantee they can't develop into chicks.

Your update is a FLAT OUT LIE.

• 4 months ago

The eggs sold in stores for eating are from chickens that have not had "relations" with a rooster. Thus the eggs are not fertile and will never hatch. They will just spoil and turn rotten.

Even if you were to leave fertile eggs on a counter in the kitchen, they would not hatch. The eggs have to be kept warmer then the normal kitchen temperature of the chicks within will die. That is why the hen sits on the eggs. Or today, they are put in an incubator to keep them warmer.

Even if the egg is fertile, when you brought it at the store it was in a cooler. the temperature there in a matter of minutes would kill an embryo within the egg. Plus upi probably put it in your frig once you go it home. So any chicken in it would be dead.

If you want to confirm this, the incubation period for a chicken egg is 21 days. Put an egg on the counter for 22 days and confirm that it does not hatch.

• 4 months ago

it is extremely unlikely. Commercial hen houses do not allow roosters inside, thus the eggs are unfertilized and will never hatch.

Source(s): grampa
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.