Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Where you alive before the internet? What was it like?

Perhaps for most people, the time was less stressful prior to the Internet.  People made phone calls as necessary, not every 5 minutes as so may do today; texting etc. The time before the Internet was more family oriented, as the family st in the LR to watch TV or films recorded on the VCR from the TV. 

Yes, by 2 years. I was born in 1988. The internet didn't become available for the public till the late 1990s. We got the internet in 1998, when I was 10. For the first 10 years of my life, I remember it as quite magical. I spent a lot of time outdoors, learning how to maintain a home, very confident when talking to people, read a lot of books. I wouldn't have it any other way - although now I don't know how I would have spent my childhood look at electronic screens all day.

• e9601:

Life was wonderful then. People talked face to face, no one with a cell glued to them.

Nope, I wasn't, thank god

There was no Internet for the first 32 years of my life. So I knew that world very well. And I can tell you  - the world is NOT better because of the Internet. In fact - it's much worse. Especially when it comes to how we relate to one another. For one thing - because there was no way to respond immediately to what someone said [other than to a person you were talking to on a landline phone] you were forced to consider your response. We also didn't know about every awful thing that's happening in the world. It's seriously depressing to be informed about things that you have no power to effect in any way whatsoever. Around the clock 'news' is an awful thing. The Internet made it even worse. Well there you go. That's just some of it. 

• Ya-Hoo

I was born in the 80s and until about 1995 there was no internet and no fast internet until at least 2000 or 2005. We watched television for news. All the gaming systems were "offline" meaning you had either 2 or 4 controllers for friends. There was no "apps" that made complicated tasks easy. Probably the worst thing was no GPS. You used maps and often times got lost.

Answer:  There I alive before the internet.  Or maybe here I alive.  I'm not sure.

the internet gave me life

It was brilliant.

Kids played outside every day. We rode bikes, played football in the park.

But we ALL KNEW don't go to see that creepy guy in the black dress and white collar. we all knew he was a wrong 'un.

Depends what you mean by internet. The ARPANet was being put together around the time I was born, but I was in my thirties by the time it was in common use and I was adult long before the WWW came into existence. I would say people had longer attention spans and were more prepared to listen, and information and learning had a kind of scarcity and rigour to it which it now lacks. There was also a lot more face to face communication between strangers and acquaintances in public places.