How do i fix an overheated microwave ?

I was making fries in the oven at my friends house and he had a high tech complicated microwave and he told me to use it to keep the time but me not seeing the timer button i turned it on for 20 mins and after it was done and beeped it didnt work. I knew it was over heated because it had happened to me before. It still didnt work after hours and it doesnt work the next day. I want to know if theres anything i can do before the option of buying him a new one

Never EVER run a microwave empty! You've killed the microwave and could have started a fire!

• IvaB

There are no home serviceable parts in a microwave.

Try unplugging and plugging back in. Check the fuse. It should be inline with the power cord. Don't take it apart. 

put it in the freezer for the same amount of time

Nope. Its days are over. Happened to me recently, was cooking a butternut squash and something smelled like it was burning, and not food. An electric smell. The microwave was off and very hot to the touch, and that was the odor. These things don't work forever.

I think you should re-post in the Consumer Electrics section. This isn't really aCooking and Recipes problem.

Hmm, maybe you have the power up too high?  Anyway, microwaves are only like $30 bucks these days, I’d just by a new one instead of messing with one that might be potentially broken.