Do you have to dress up nicely for a job interview for a pawn shop?

OF COURSE you do.

• F

Just borrow something.........

I went for an interview for a job some years ago at a brass polishing workshop, wearing a nice suit and shiney boots. The boss who interviewed me came in looking like a grubby hippy! I felt a tad over-dressed. He asked a few cursory questions and then took me to the workshop, gave me a pair of gloves, a lump of brass and said 'Polish that'. I must've impressed him enough to give me the job but my boots and suit were filthy.

Source(s): 10 years at brass polishing.

LOl if tis anything like the pawn shop near my house you dress up like u just go out of jail.

Well, you probably don't "need" a suit and a tie, but looking professional will ALWAYS make a better impression.  Dress nicely and if you are offered the job, ask how they prefer that you dress on a daily basis.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

don;t need a suit and tie, but don't go in shorts or flipflops.

Their first impression of you counts. So yes.

You don't HAVE to do anything, but if you want the job you SHOULD do the kinds of things that have been shown to increase your chances of being hired.

The general rule I always use for job interviews is to dress 1-2 levels more formal (nicer) than what employees in the position you are seeking wear to work.

So if employees wear blue jeans and a polo at the store, then you should wear khaki pants and a polo or button down dress shirt. Going up one more level to slacks with a button down shirt would be okay as well.

• A.J.

You typically should dress a little more formally than current employees, but not look like you won't fit in by being too formal. As a male, typically a button-down shirt, but not a suit, maybe a tie, but not a flashy one. As a woman, look up business casual as a likely decent choice. Look groomed, but not stiff.

If it's a neighborhood one, either look in or ask someone else to do so if possible.

Many times, employees wear slacks and matching polo type short sleeve shirts with collars. If you know that to be true, a tie for a male is not needed.

Dress to impress, go ahead friend, show them that you care and want to be there.