Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Is it a form of cheating or unfair advantage when a user on Yahoo Answers always thumbs-up their own answers?

Why do people thumb up their own answers? Is it to try to make their answer appear higher that the other answers if "Rating" is selected from the Answers menu?

For example: There's a user who almost always TU his own answers within a second of him posting. I guess maybe he's giving himself an unfair advantage or making it appear that his answer is liked? He's been called out on this by other users, and he still does it. Why? He also gets offended if anyone TD his answers. So this is just an example of this situation here with the TU and TD.

I guess "cheating" was the wrong word to use; not sure what to call it, though. I could see if these users that I'm referring to gave themselves a TU and ALSO gave the other answers a TU, but that's not the case, as they only TU their own answers. 

Should YA remove this function of TU your own answers?

@CaarolOklaNola: I didn't say anything about TU your own answer 2x, as I know you can only TU your own answer 1x. That's not the question. In the past, you couldn't TU your own answer. It wouldn't cost much to program this into the system.

• Favourite answer

It is not illegal to do it but I believe it is immoral to do it.  This is not an election where your vote counts it is just a question and answers site.  Anyone with over a million points should not b so concerned with getting one extra point when their answers are always very well written and earn many best answers.   But 3 seconds after they post an answer you will see at least one thumb up and they will tell you points do not matter.

I think they should just do away with both the thumbs up and down.  Everything Yahoo/Verizon creates just becomes a tool for the trolls to cheat here.

As for the one who says you lose one point for each thumb down if you get the favorite answer is not true at all.  You earn the extra points up to 50 for your thumbs up not down.

You cannot possibly know who has given a particular thumb up. You cannot possibly know that someone 'only' thumbs up their own answers.

Even if someone TELLS you they have, you still can't know whether they're telling the truth.

Let it go. Nobody can thumb themselves up more than once per question, so it's not worth fretting about.

ahaha because it makes you look like you get likes. do you do that though?

In the much missed  days of community voting one was allowed to vote for oneself if one considered ones answer was the best. When voting ended they carried on the practice and allowed members to thumb up their own answer if we believe it is the best. One must be very honest with ourselves.

• Daniel

Not really no since It does not Effect the Voting Ability and Nobody can see who Specifically has Pressed It

Don't get your panties in a wad Thumbs U and D are meaningless anyway so no need to obsess  over them 

I feel like if you take Yahoo Answers this seriously, it's time for a break.

• .

No, not cheating (or the feature wouldn't be available). Just like people running for office can vote for themselves, so users can TU or TD their own answer. The ONLY potential benefit of TUing ones own answer, is it might (not always) provide the user with 1 extra point if their answer is selected as BA/Favorite. An answer gets extra points for every TU in excess of the number of TDs, up to 50. 

.

If a user doesn't like his or her own answer, why would they post it? TU/TD provide or remove any type of 'advantage'.+

It's not cheating because Yahoo allows it . The only time TU's matter is if your answer is chosen as BA😉

• IOM

Back in the Y!A Green Era you couldn't TU your own answers. I have no idea why they changed that. It IS absurd and ridiculous.