Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Difficulty Swallowing?

My doctor diagnosed me with mono and told me to drink fluids and take ibuprofen with food, but I literally cannot swallow at all. I haven’t eaten in so long and I just cannot stand this anymore, please help

This question is intended for people who’ve experienced the same issue and how they dealt with it. 

Hey I had mono so sorry you have it, cause it sucks.

You might need to force yourself to take liquid ibuprofen. Try putting it under your tongue and let it absorb. Ice your throat/ neck first. It's your glands that are swelling so once you take the ibuprofen keep taking it at regular times.

In a few days the gland swelling will go down. Try to rest a lot!

Mix hot water with 2 tbsp honey, lemon juice, and some crushed ginger. Try to swallow that with some ibuprofen. If that doesn't work, go to the store and buy the lozenges that use a numbing agent. They will numb your throat so you can eat.

If you don't drink liquids and become dehydrated, you will need to be hospitalized and put on IV fluids.    Not fun and not cheap either.

I had mono and remember how painful it was.   However, I decided I'd rather be at home so I made myself drink.  I vaguely recall it was easier to let liquid just drain down the throat by using a straw rather than swallowing.  

I have a bright idea, instead of whining to a group of people from all four corners of the Earth who don't particularly  care and, can't really help you even if they chose  to, how about you  ask the doctor who diagnosed you with mono. 

From what I remember I took painkillers, ate when I could and rode the storm.

Update: Then why  are you asking us for advice retard? Evidently brighter than you, that's why I'm not asking for advice  on this Mickey Mouse forum.

• Wow, if only I thought of that before! You must be real bright. 

you're supposed to ask a question or take your rant to facebook.

still no question, so, reported.

• I’m asking for advice, it’s not a rant. If anyone’s ranting it’s you. I’d like to see you deal with this pain.