Kendal asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Why do some people believe bananas are solid sugar and should be avoided?

I am being trained to believe that bananas are the worst fruit you can eat. I have started the Mediterranean diet and bananas are on the list of fruits allowed. So I am confused as to whether they’re healthy or unhealthy.

Bananas aren't "unhealthy" but they are high calorie, fructose/sugar loaded/high carb fruit. Something a diabetic should probably avoid because they spike blood glucose. Most fruits do anyway. And if you're aiming for weight loss, avoid fruits and fruit juices (and all sugars). So the Mediterranean diet isn't that great for diabetics, or for people with PCOS and other illnesses.

I prefer Keto, but that's just me

Here is a page comparing Keto to Mediterranean. You have to decide. I think Keto is healthier.

Back in the "old days" before grocery stores and world wide farming people only got fruits for a little while during the year... not all year long like we do. They'd load up on them for a while, because well... they were available! After fruit season, they went back to the basics - animals, animal fat and plant matter.

Not at all in my opinion

they are ok in moderation. loaded with sugar and carbs.

• W

Anything in reasonable amounts is fine. 

You can eat one or two bananas a day with no problems.

• Louis

Bananas are very good. but not essential. they do have a lot of sugar but about 25% of them is fiber which is good. They also have a lot of vitamins and minerals

• Logan

Fruits vary in how much of their sugar is fructose, glucose or sucrose.  Bananas have the most glucose and as a result rank highest on the glycemic index.  However, some people have fructose intolerance and should avoid the low glycemic/high fructose fruits including apples and grapes have bananas instead.  It was also discovered that metabolism of fructose produces purines that can cause gout.  

The same reason they think that keto is the way to go...  They just don't have enough information.  Most people have a tendency to repeat what they heard without doing any research.

Bananas are one of the healthiest fruits out there. Yes, they contain sugar, but no more than the average fruit. Why do you think fruits are so sweet? However, the health benefits (mostly potassium) far outweigh the sugar content.

• Olive

I dont think about it i just eat the bananas