What can I do to help me find a job?

I've been in college for nearly 2 yrs now. I've been job hunting ever since I came here. So far, I could only find a work-study job that allows a maximum of 15 hrs per week at $7.25 p/h, which is around $180 every 2 weeks. I've applied literally everywhere and only gotten 3 calls back and 1 interview. I try to show initiative by asking the stores and such in person about the available positions, but they always say they're not hiring at the moment even though they have positions posted on job hunting sites like indeed from like 1-7 days ago. I've also done mock interviews to help with my interviewing and have been told I'm a good interviewer as well. I try to look presentable for every interview and every time I talk to them in person. I don't know why I can't find a job. I don't know if it's due to me being a student or something else. It sucks because I haven't experienced college at all and the little money I make goes directly towards my car insurance and phone bill.

One thing you can do to help find a job is to stop asking in person at stores and such that have posted on job hunting sites because they want you to apply online and not contact them in person.

Way back when I ran a pizza hut before delivery, I hired every person that applied.

My guess is you have not tried many food places. if you have a car, pizza delivery hires almost everyone.

EDIT, a nose ring will keep you from jobs. As will visible tats.

Contact the student placement office at your college and see what jobs they have listed that might fit your skills and ask about any special situations with the positions posted. These people are looking for college students so being one would not be a deterernt.

Source(s): Retired University staff member
  • Robert

What planet do you live on? I've passed at least four convenience stores today which are desperate to hire qualified workers (and at 11 per hour). You must be looking in the wrong places. Even McCrap and Burger Barff are continuously looking for help.