How do I get a background check for the land lord before moving into an apartment?

My landlord can run the credit check for me I just need the background check. i'm guessin that will be criminal history and other things. How can i get one.I don;t understand how the online ones work or they are too expensive. I need to run one on myself and get it before the end of this week.

Your potential landlord can also run a complete back round check.  That's part of the application fee you give him.

They don't just run criminal checks, they run civil checks too - a full background check. Don't you know what naughty deeds you have done? Who you owe money to, how many convictions, jail, prison, etc. Is your record so long that you can't remember them all? I guess you will just have to spend the money then.

So what if his credit is lousy, is that going to keep you from moving in. Instead of a background check, it might behoove you to knock on a few neighbors doors and ask them about the landlord. Even if they dont rent from this landlord themselves, they probably heard stuff and talked to the forner tenants. You should also make some effort to assure that the landlord is who they say they are and is the owner (or property manager) for the landlord.

Usually the landlord does a background check and pays for it.

Go away ,Simply .😉

• SimplytheFACTS

no, tenant usually pays an application fee to cover the check

You don't get one. It is the landlord's responsibility to do it.  If they are to lazy to do it & pushing it off on you then you need to find another place to rent.  That is a big red flag of a slumlord.  They are this lazy about this then they are going to be equally lazy about fixing anything. 

The specific landlord gives you something to fill out I believe. Or maybe its all online now?  To qualify, you need good credit, enough income and a good prior rental history. Paying your mom does not count.  I think the process is such that apartments make a profit on applicants who will not be approved and they could have told you if you asked.  An eviction or felony record would disqualify you too.