Do you have to go to the doctor for mono?

So my boyfriend has mono, it’s been a few weeks he’s been sick but we found out it was mono today. While we’ve avoided making out and sharing drinks (because he hadn’t been feeling well) I understand that there’s a chance I’ll have it. If I do get it, do I have to go to the doctor? The doctor told him he can write a school excuse but there’s no medicine just resting. Will I even have to miss class or work? (I’m a secretary work study) and I’m in college. Thanks!

When we have Mono, the worst of it is we feel totally dragged out. I had it, and i remember having a fever for a few days, too. it took a couple months for me to start feeling like myself again.

Once your symptoms do appear, they may last for two to four weeks. You can pass the virus to other people through your saliva for up to three months after your symptoms subside. Some studies have reported that you may still be contagious for up to 18 months.