Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Appropriate novel for a 4-7 class? ?

I teach elementary school English to a class consisting of grade 4-7 students, mostly boys. I’m looking for a novel to study that’s appropriate for all of them. Does anyone have any ideas? 

• C

Ages 9- 12 is quite some spread!  I don't envy you.  Even the precocious readers at the lower age range won't be sufficiently old enough to grasp the point of a novel like Lord of the Flies.  To them it will just be an adventure story and they won't re-read it with close attention when they are old enough because they'll have read it too recently.  The older students will be too advanced for the lower age range to fully engage.  Are you sure you can't split them into two reading groups?  The one group can give presentations to the other as they go along.  At 12 I really wanted to be challenged with "grown up" concepts and would not have been happy to be given what to my mind were "baby books."

With that in mind this is what came to mind for stories not too mature for the nine year olds but might not bore the twelves to death and on the whole aren't too "girlie."  It also shows me up as a dinosaur, hopefully someone can come up with some more happening reads.  Tbh, I'm feeling a bit sorry for your situation as only a few kids are going to get the right book at the right time, I discarded so many picks from either end of the range :(

Flat Stanley

My Side of the Mountain

The Bridge to Terabithia

Where the Red Ferns Grow

The Door in the Wall

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Black Cauldron (it's not the first book in the series but teachers seem to like this one as a standalone story due to all the discussions you can have from events.)

The Island of the Blue Dolphins

Black Beauty

The Giver 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

The Secret Garden

The collected stories of Edgar Allen Poe

Have Space Suit Will Travel

• j153e

Chronicles of Narnia (such as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe);

Flatland;

Animal Farm;

The Indian in the Cupboard;

The Neverending Story;

The Once and Future King;

Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians.

• Andrew

I assume that you're American (because you use the terms "elementary school", and "grade.") 

Why would a school place students who range in age from 9 years old to 12 years old in the same English class? If they're all native speakers of English, it only stands to reason that there would be a wide disparity between the younger students and the older ones when it comes to their level of reading and communication skill. 

You're going to have to choose material that's appropriate for the younger boys and will therefore just have to accept that the material will likely be very unchallenging and boring for the older boys. 

Because you're stuck with that problem, you want something that's not too difficult that will hold their interest. 

I'm just going to give you some titles that would suit everybody:

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen

"Holes" by Louis Sachar

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C S. Lewis 

• Rick B

Lord of the Flies

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Indian in the Cupboard

The Giver

The Lightning Thief

Holes

Wonder

The Call of the Wild

All Creatures Great and Small

Where the Red Fern Grows

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Prince and the Pauper

Charlotte's Web

• C

Most of those will be too advanced for the lower age range. They might read the words but won't get the implications of the story.