Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

marriage and proposal question?

My friends told me I was a gold digger and materialistic because I want a certain wedding ring and 

if my boyfriend can’t afford that one or wants to get me one that he prefers, I don’t want one. They said I should be grateful that I found a man who even wants to marry me that I should take any ring and that the ring is irrelevant and my focus on it shows I don’t truly love him. So...people of Yahoo, who’s wrong? 

I knew yahoo was the wrong place to ask. Let me find some sensible people. 

You guys are clearly misogynistic if you think a woman should be so desperate

for someone’s love that they should just accept any circular object. 1: this is a hypothetical question 2, the ring is not EXPENSIVE AT ALL, I just have a specific one I’d like. The questions were: should the woman be able to DECIDE what ring she gets AND if he can’t afford that ring, I wouldn’t want one because if he can’t afford an engagement ring, we shouldn’t be getting engaged, that’s fiscally irresponsible!!! 

I am so happy young males are seeing right through girls like you and skipping the whole thing. You do not get to choose, you can advice or give him hints of what you like but he can only get what he can afford.

It's fair to say that if you can't get the ring you want you'll marry him without an engagement ring. Practical couples often skip this anyway, preferring to put the money toward a house. But one suspects it's not just this one incident that's caused your friends to call you a "gold digger". So prove them wrong by having a happy marriage without benefit of this token gift.

• audrey

You are. You're shallow and materialistic. Please break up with him and let him find someone who deserves him.

So...people of Yahoo, who’s wrong? The answer is simple - you are.

If you require a certain level of income in a boyfriend as shown by his ability to buy you the (no doubt excessively expensive) ring you want, then the classification of gold digger seems to fit.

"my focus on it shows I don’t truly love him" True, because YOU see money spent on you a equaling the measure of his love for you, and the fact he doesn't have the money to waste/spend on trifles like you'd want him to do, means you can't "love" him.

Yep, gold digger.

• Tepee

Wow, aren't you a materialistic queen?

• Arch

You're SO wrong, I have to assume you're trolling.  You are, in fact, unfit for marriage.  Not only should you not MARRY this guy, or anyone else, but you should not even date anyone until you get your head on straight and stop being so selfish and materialistic.

You're wrong every way you look at it.