Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Can I safely make paint changes in my apartment (read details)?

I've been living in my apartment for almost 27 years. It is a month to month lease.

They are terrible at painting my walls. The people they hire, say they painted but the truth is they only painted a few walls (my apartment is pretty big).

They keep with the same paint color which is a cream color or off white. I want to paint it simply white. Do you think they will put up a stink about it? My ceiling is pure white, I just want to match it to make the home look brighter.

Do you think I'll get into trouble? By the way, I know if I ask them, they will say no because they follow certain rules but one of my rooms has been painted blue which I guess they don't mind because during inspection, they say they will send painters but I tell them to not paint it and its fine. I think if I just do it, they might not say anything. I'm just concerned to buy so much paint and them saying No!

Generally you can paint your walls whatever colour you want, as long as you return it to how it was when you moved in.

I doubt they'd mind you doing so, but you need to get consent in writing.

If you're month to month, you could spend a lot of money on paint then get asked to leave soon after. So you might also want to get a longer fixed term lease if you're investing in the property.

• MR ed

check with landlord

Just ask, I see no reason they would say no.

Why don't you just paint it the same color as it is now. Like there is some huge difference between cream and white, and this way you know they won't mind.

Or paint it white and they probably won't care.

You could have paid for a house or nearly so by now.  If you want a special color, they would want to increase your rent to pay for what it costs to repaint to what someone else would want if you were to move.

Id just live with their paint.

are you prepared to pay for a full repaint at some point?  the landlord can charge you to have it painted back to the original color.

• LILL

Ask them if you can paint as you like with the promise to return the property in it's current colors when you vacate.

i would ask about it so you dont get in trouble

Get management's approval of your colors.  No one can say what your management might or might not object to.