Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Why do I often feel that inanimate objects have emotions or feelings when I know they don't?

To clarify, I'm not some kind of psychopath. I'm fully aware that these objects have no emotions.

That being said, sometimes I form these emotional connections with them. For example, I was eating Smarties the other day and there was a slightly deformed one. I saved it for last and held on to it for a few minutes knowing that I should just eat it, but I felt that it would be upset with me, or that I was "killing" it in some way. I did end up eating it, but took a picture to remember it by.

Alright, maybe I am a psychopath. How can I not do this? Serious replies only, please.

This is a natural human instinct to attribute feelings and animation to objects.

LOL that's sort of funny. I remember when i was a kid i lost a little parachute toy out the car window, and i was afraid it was going to be lonely. Maybe it was? Who knows?

This is called the pathetic fallacy. "Pathetic" doesn't mean you're lame. It means feelings - the sense that something not alive has feelings. It's perfectly natural. It's used in the arts. When something bad is about to happen in a movie you might  see stormy weather, which tells the primitive part of our brains that the sky is angry. Bird songs suggest that everything is OK. although the birds could be saying, "Stay away from my territory."

I don't know how this is connected to being psychopathic?

It's totally okay!! You're perspective is reminiscent of a religious concept called "animism", among other similar ideas. You might want to become a medicine man (shaman). The further back you go in the history of religion as a whole, the more fantastical the perception of the world around us becomes.. A popular one is Wicca, I'm Mexican so I chose Aztec religion. Remember there's no wrong or right, only goodb better, and even better, and so forth. Lmao ahhhh

maybe you should get some counseling, it might help you out