How do I address the following issue ?

Switching to another security company from my old one.  The issue is or could be I walk in saying I have a previous engagement August 4 to August 8 .  They might not hire me thinking well this person does not want to work or is serious.  I am I want more pay just I'm just concerned if I walk in already asking for time off I won't get the job. 

Anywhere good will ask you in the interview if you have a holiday booked and arrange pre-booked leave, they should understand that when you booked the holiday you may not have been planning to change jobs. If they don't do this don't go to them as only somewhere bad doesn't do it.

Asking for time off less than 6 months after you start does not look good. But, if they offer you the job, you can ask for it then and see how they react.  I presume you don't expect paid time off. You could also just take the job and in a few months bring it up with your boss if you have a good relationship. 

I would simply tell them at the interview that you have a prior engagement for those days. Better than you getting the job, then taking the time off and annoying them that you didn't tell them sooner.

• martin

Get the job offer and accept it. Let them get to like you and respect you. Then ask for time off, but make sure you tell them it's a one-time thing which you have to do.