Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do some atheists insist they were brainwashed growing up?

Some atheists who were raised Christian like to claim that their parents "brainwashed" or "indoctrinated" them. Since when is training your child in the way of the Lord considered brainwashing?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If children are not brainwashed/indoctrinated, why is it that they always have the same religion as their parents? Baptists have Baptist children; Catholics have Catholic children; Methodists have Methodist children, Sunni Muslims have Sunni Muslim children, and so on. If two children can grow up as neighbours, be in the same class at school etc but each have a completely different religion, that is parental indoctrination that has done that. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

In some religions thats not what was done. Religion is responsible for many atheists. That and the fact that they decided to not look beyond the religion that misslead them

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Doesn't matter when it started it's considered that now, asshoIe.

• 2 months ago

Because everyone is. And thats the key isn’t it? To get to the kids before they get old enough to figure it out and dismiss it.

Religion, Father Christmas, Easter Bunny, kids are all taught this stuff when they are young, and they soak it up like a sponge, trusting that the adults that are telling them this stuff, are being honest and truthful.

And thats the key point, adults are not honest and truthful when it comes to religion. They want their kids to adopt THEIR religion, which in turn wasn’t their choice either, because their parents wanted them to adopt their religion.

I was lucky in that my parents were not particularly religious and left me to find my own way, but certainly at school, you were encouraged to think that religion was normal, praying, singing hymns, learning about stuff in the Bible.

Make no mistake, kids ARE brainwashed when they are younger, and religion is generally the one area that they don’t get to choose for themselves nor question.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Because they were, you moron.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because they're just atheists.

• Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

In your case you were brainwashed into thinking that your father fuϲking you up your аss and making you bIow him was the way of the Lord, you fuϲking pervert.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.