That Guy asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Help with Mother s home care / pay from medicaid?

My mother is 62, still works just fine (desk job) but she is ordered by doctors to not lift things over 5 lbs. I do all the heavy "lifting" things like grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, driving her to and from work for severe chronic pain issues related to same medical issue.

I ve been reading what I can about medicaid, but can I be paid for the home care even if she still works. From what I ve read she can t apply for medicaid till she retires?

Does this apply for my situation still, or is there a way she can still apply for a waiver for me to be the home care giver.

Everything I look at just assumes they are already on medicaid already, but she won t be officially retiring for a few more years.

• Eva

You need to learn the difference between medicaid and medicare. Your mother doesn't qualify for medicaid because she makes too much money. She doesn't qualify for medicare because she's not 65. The things you do for her do not qualify as home care. There's a thing called 7 activities of daily living. If she needed assistance with some of those, it would be home care. You cannot be paid for what you currently do.

• That Guy1 month agoReport

Thank you Eva that clarifies things, As for David, I've been doing this for years already and just recently heard that the state might help financially in some way. Insinuating that I don't love my mother enough to care for her without financial aid is offensive

Medicaid is the federal health problem but is implemented in every state. In my state, Medicaid doesn't pay for home care. A county program, In Home Supportive Services, pays family members for doing daily living chores.