Does anyone know anything about American Frogs?

When I was a kid I lived in a small town called Yorktown Virginia. There was a creek behind our neighborhood that all the kids would hangout by. I have this memory of seeing a frog by that creek that was blue. It could’ve been another color and I’m just remembering wrong, but it definitely wasn’t the normal green color most frogs had. I knew that because of its color is was probably poisonous so I never approached it. Does anyone have an idea of what type of frog this was? 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

there is only one species of poisonous frog in the US, the Pickerel frog, which is more or less standard frog green/tan colored with square shaped spots on its back, and i dont believe there are any true blue frogs/toads in north America, however many species can have a bluish hue or tint to their skin in the right lighting, especially when they shed. i have 2 toads, and when they matured from a tadpole and their body was morphing, their skin looked flushed bluish milky and weird, which gave them a bluish color. the frog you saw was possibly one of the following, based on the blue appearance; grey tree frog, eastern american toad, oak toad, carpenter frog, and eastern spadefoot can all look blue, especially in water where light gets refracted differently

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Could have been any of several species. I found a blue green frog once.  The green skin color is caused by a layer that appears blue being seen through a layer of yellow. If the yellow chromatophores are missing, you see the skin as blue. It is rare but it has been reported several times.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't know of a blue frog but there is a reddish frog

https://www.123rf.com/photo_89321181_wood-frogs-ra...

• 1 month ago

It was a cold frog.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.