Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

I drove almost 600 miles to stand and drink in the field behind my childhood home. Have I lost it?

First, I didn't drink and drive. I booked into a motel a three-minute walk from my childhood home. Saved the 600 mile return drive till the next day.

I'm well in my 30s and don't know why I did this. I have been dealing with depression and the end of a relationship, but it feels like an insane move in retrospect. I took with me a box of beer and some cigarettes, and loaded my phone with albums I loved back in the late 80s (OMD, Depeche, Tears for Fears and so on). I just stood there in the dark, in the light rain, listening to those songs that meant so much, switching my eyes between the bedroom window I used to sit by and the nearby woods I used to play in. The trees are so much taller now.

It was a beautiful experience, although I feel like I may be losing my mind. Am I? Asking for the input of strangers (usually) helps. Thanks in advance.

No harm in a bit of escapism now and then but it's not really a treatment for depression.

Reader reviews for How to Survive the Loss of a Love - people think its great.

https://www.amazon.com/Survive-Loss-Love-Peter-McW...

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

Getting drunk in a field while listening to Depeche and OMD sounds pretty awesome, actually. You're trying to recreate the past - maybe this one encounter will fulfil your needs. If you start *living* in the past, it might be time for some counselling.

I wouldnt say your losing your mind, sometimes people like to visit places from their past and recreate some memories, nothing wrong with that, although your not supposed to be drinking in a public place theres problems and if your doing it because your depressed its not going to help and also now that I'm re reading this it sounds kinda dangerous you know it can get cold you can pass out and things can happen so not a great idea