paris asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 2 months ago

getting a perm AND roots highlighted on same day?

My hair is highlighted, but my roots have grown out about 3 inches. And I really want to get a curly perm. Is it too risky to get my roots highlighted and get my perm right after? Or a perm isn’t that damaging so it’s possible ? or get my roots done first, wait about 2 weeks and then get the perm? 

• I don't think it's a good idea to get a perm and highlights at the same time. I would wait at least a week or two in between getting the two done. Getting them done at the same time could cause some damage to your hair as they are both chemical treatments. Go to a few consultations and see what the stylist would recommend having done first. 

• Sariah

High lighting and perm both have hydrogen peroxide in them. Get the high lights FIRST to avoid losing curl from a perm.

*Prep hair before appt. by washing hair with liquid dish soap. Rinse well and pour a rinse solution of 2 cups warm water with 2 teaspoons of baking soda in it and rinse again with plain warm water really well. Make sure hair is totally dry before getting hair done. I use to wait one week to get perm but its up to you. Call and make sure the perm is for high lighted hair.

My beautician wouldn't do that. He would give the perm first, then the roots. Because the perm takes out some of the color.