What’s the difference between the authors main reason and point ?

I don’t understand the differences what is a point and what is a main reason ???

Main Reason -- say someone is writing about a character who is going through drug abuse and then withdrawal. It's what a person is experiencing in it's entirety.

The Point -- That person's ACTUAL actions in their journey to fix their issue would be the point.

It's like gimme a reason and what's the point bro

Are you perhaps being expected to answer two questions, what is the author's main reason for writing X and what is the author's point?

Here's a made-up example.

Ms. Bittner wrote Plastics in the Pacific to inform readers about the impact of plastic pollution on the ocean. Ms. Bittner's point was that humans should stop allowing plastic waste to enter the oceans.

I don't either as I have never heard of the two. Better ask my father Andrew. He's a cretin who critiques genre fiction as if it's literary.