Wireless mouse stopped working?

I've been using my wireless mouse for the past 5 years and today it just stopped working. I changed the batteries and updated the drivers and still doesn't work. Is it normal for a mouse to just stop working like that?

• Bort

Have you tried cleaning it? There's a laser eye that kind of looks like a camera on the bottom of it. Use isopropyl alcohol or just plain water and a q-tip and clean the lense. It might just be dirty.

Not saying you're dirty or unclean. We all have oils in our skin that collects on things we touch. Those oils then collect other things like tiny pices of dirt and dust, etc. The lense could be blocked.

In my experience, no, it's not normal for those things to just stop working. I've had the same wireless mouse/keyboard combo for 12 years and I used it pretty hard and very often I'm almost always on a computer using them and it still works.

Most of the time they can be made to work again if they do stop working. Most of the time with a mouse when they stop working it's because their lense is blocked or something inside became disconnected somehow.

Or if it's an ancient style ball mouse (not optical) that's definitely what it is. The ball comes out, clean the ball with just water or rubbing alcohol and clean the contact pin rollers the ball rolls around. Get all the hand-oil gunk outta there and it should work again.

*Should* work again. It may just be kaput. It's not impossible that it's just dead.

• Lv 7

it's not normal for a mouse to need drivers.

invest in a new mouse, so you won't need the headaches.

I prefer wired mouse.

• Brian

All the wireless mouse's I had were battery operated. I'd check the battery.

Yes. I bought genuine a Microsoft wireless mouse and it went wrong early on. Kept jumping all over the screen. The cursor not the mouse. I reverted to a wired optical mouse which has lasted forever.