Why do Some Universities have a residency period instead of letting delayed finish their majors in a slower pace?

Residency in my univ is how long can you stay in the school to complete your course. My school has a residency of Additonal 2 years of your course. SO if your course is 4 years, then you will get 6 years to complete the course with the case your delayed. If your course is 5 then you have 7 and so on. IDK why there is like that tho. What's wrong with completing a 4 year course in 7 years. The school already kicked some people out even if they are not done with residency. My friend got kicked out with 3 years left in his residency because his first two years were bad plus he took a year leave, which is still part of residency and when he tried to go back, the school said he won't finish his majors on time. That was too harsh. Anyway I just want to know why there is residency.

It can be a waste of a school's time and resources to continue working with students who are not putting forth their best effort.  They may also have a limited capacity, and keeping students for extended periods prevents them from admitting as many additional students as they could. An additional 2 years is a reasonable amount of extra time.  

i assume it is to motivate students to get done and stop wasting faculty time

Maybe the school would prefer to offer residency to students who are serious about their work and capable of completing it in a reasonable time. Short of illness or some other catastrophe, I cannot think of any reason why someone needs 6 years to finish four years' worth of work. A school residence is not a hotel.