for some reason my old cpu is better than my my upgraded CPU ?

some reason my old cpu (i5 750) is running 70fps on high setting on gtav and my upgraded CPU(i7 870) is running at 33-39 in mid setting 

does anyone know how to make my upgraded CPU run better than my old one.

i know there that my old one is better than the new one     

Sometime the O.S. just doesn't know how to deal with a new CPU being installed. Sometimes the O.S. flat out refuses to work, wont work correctly with the RAM, or there are other issues. On other threads, I've seen complaints from people who upgraded from the i5 to the i7 and it seems the issue is the O.S. doesn't know how to deal with Hyperthreading correctly. If you can get a program called Intel XTU to work with your old setup, then you can disable H/T to see if the O.S. is the issue. 

In these cases you'll have to reformat and reinstall the O.S. if you want your system to run the way it should. Having to disable H/T is not a proper solution.

Have you check to make sure the temperatures are fine and if the O.S. is recognizing 8 threads? Both processors might have a 95w TDP but the i7 is going to use more power and run a bit hotter thanks to Hyperthreading.

I've seen a CPU upgrade throw off drivers such as the chipset and CPU drivers. It would probably be a good idea to reset the BIOS and possibly even reflash the BIOS, on top of updating drivers. 

Since you have a new CPU installed, it would be a good idea to stress test and benchmark the CPU to make sure the system is stable and temperatures are in check. You can check out and use programs like CPU-Z, Cinebench r15, Prime95, Linpack, Aida64, Coretemp, userbenchmark, passmark. Your Core i7-870 should score around 475 in the Cinebench r15 multithreaded test. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/In...

Can you change the processor of a PC without changing its motherboard Sometimes, replacing these motherboard is possible, though Most computer processors are socketed. This means there is a physical connector which is soldered to the motherboard and that socket can have different processors plugged into it.

This factor is not often appreciated, but changing the CPU chipset (e.g. as you did, from i5 to i7) can cause the device bus and device controller chips to have speed issues due to "collisions."  This occurs when you try to push data down the bus faster than it can handle.  Critical items usually win this "race" and less critical items have to pause until the bus is clear again.  It is sort of like overclocking a part of a system without overclocking the rest of the system.  The timing can be messed up.

Another question is, did you change memory size?  If they are the same memory size, that might not be a problem.  But the question is, what is the size of the CPU's internal caches.  If they are smaller on the i7 than they were on the i5, that would cause bottlenecks.

• arther

install the correct chipset drivers

maybe a defective chip. rare, but it happens. or could just be out of date drivers.

What are some simple steps I can take to protect my privacy online? ... now more or less obsolete for gaming, even if you're not gaming, it'll be a considerable upgrade. ... Why is my CPU always at a 100 for every application? ... have to get DDR4 ram, so if you are coming from old hardware it is much more then just a CPU, i.

• micksmixxx

@Mia F.  How, on Earth, does tis answer the question being asked?

i think i install it wrong 

that why is cpu fan is spinning fast 

maybe you can take it to a computer store and have them help you with it

Check your .. autoexec.bat and/or Control Settings. You likely have programs running in the background that are taxing your i7 chip.

• old is often better in a lot of cases.