Is it hard to become a vagetarian and what should be my main go to food?

You should continue with a balanced diet of meat and vegetables

• Jerry

Instead of suddenly making a radical change to your diet, how about you become a vegetarian gradually? Maybe eliminate meat from your breakfasts first while eating smaller portions of meat with lunch and supper. Then add a few more meatless meals each week. If you never go 100% meatless, don't sweat it. Just cutting down on the meat does your body a world of good. 

The foods I always have on hand are rice, barley, dried beans, pasta, peanut butter, nuts, sunflower seeds, bread, crackers, oatmeal, prunes, butter, milk alternative, honey. With fruits and veggies my mainstays are apples, carrots, beets, cabbage, blueberries, bananas, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, frozen whole kernel corn, frozen green peas. 

In the summer there is usually macaroni salad in the fridge. In the winter there is always a hearty soup ready to heat and eat. Breakfast is always fruit and nuts. 

• Wendigo

Have a closer look at the name, and the spelling of the word in the question. It's not a legitimate question actually.

• me

Nope. Much easier than becoming vegan. They put milk in almost everything.

Fruits, vegetables and nuts are a good choice.

Source(s): Vegan for 2 years.

I would become a vegetarian if I could still eat pork, beef, fish, chicken, etc.  You know, REAL FOOD

• J.S.

It is not too difficult to become a vegetarian.  An easy way to do so is to eat less and less meat at any meals, eventually eliminating animal protein from your diet.

A vegetarian diet should include a diverse mix of fruits, vegetables, grains, healthy fats and proteins. To replace the protein provided by meat in your diet, include a variety of protein-rich plant foods like nuts, seeds, legumes, tempeh, tofu and seitan.

Source(s): I've been a vegetarian for four years
    • Wendigo

You may want to look at the user name and then the spelling of the word in the question. It's not a spelling error.

• Janet

It is not difficult to become a vegetarian. But you DO need to be able to cook.

Vegetarian food tends to be bland, so either you are going to be using hot spicing or have skill at mixing flavors to create a tasty dish.

Also, vegetarian dishes tend to take more time and skill in the kitchen to prepare.

Your main go-to food will be an adequate protein replacement for meat. If you don't like tofu, you can mix legumes with grains instead. Such as black beans in tortillas, curried chickpeas over rice, lentil stew with whole grain bread, peanut butter on whole grain bread, pinto beans with cornbread.

You will save a lot of time if you buy canned legumes, rather than dry that need slow-cooking. But dry legumes cost much less and have less packaging (no tin cans).

• Wendigo

• Daisy

I don't think It's especially hard to become vegetarian. The hard party apparently is staying vegetarian. Polls show almost 90% of vegetarians here in the USA eventually add meat back into their diet.

Your main foods should be beans, peas, legumes. Those are high in the amino acids needed for protein. You'll need to eat some grains every day, too, to complete the amino acid profile.

• Louis

it's as easy or as hard as you want it to be. 

So for argument's sake, lets say you want it to be easy. (why not)

All you have to do is eliminate meat from your diet. You don't have to stop eating milk or milk products or eggs and things with eggs. 

one way to eliminate meat is to make a food diary or log. 

Start off by writing down everything you eat for a week.

Week 2. Find all the meals that actually didn't include meat. That might be the breakfast that contained cereal, juice, and toast. And the lunch that was a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup, or PB&J.  the dinner which was simply Penne with marinara. Double up on those.

Week 3. find the meals that contained meat that could be easily be not included. This could be that Denver omelet - just take out the ham. Eating a vegetarian burrito instead of the pork one. or A pepperoni pizza without the pepperoni. or check out a vegetarian burrito or pizza. 

Week 4. Find the meals that have meat where the meat can be replaced with a meat replacement like a veggie burger. 

Finally, go get a vegetarian cookbook and find some brand new recipes to include on a regular basis. Asian meals are frequently meat-free or can have the meat removed or replaced. Vegetarian spring rolls, vegetable chow mein, or tofu stir fry. And try some brand new things like a tofu scramble, seitan or tempeh. 

Some other vegetarian meals that you probably enjoy:

oatmeal, bagel sandwiches, mac and cheese, and 3 bean salads. 

• Wendigo

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't catch that until this morning, as I had considered answering it.

• Anton

ANYTHING is easy if you have a damn good reason.

NOTHING is easy if you do not have a damn good reason.

I have not seen a good reason to go vegetarian.

I have over 60 dinners rotate, my main "go to food" is whatever I haven't had for a while.

Peanut butter. PBJ of celery with peanut butter.