Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Washing a dry clean suit in a washing machine on delicate cycle is that ok ??

I bought me a couple second hand suits at the thrift store or second hand store.  I want to make sure they are clean and do not smell. I figured I would put them in a washing machine with no agitator, put it on cold water, put very little soap and put on the delicate cycle.  I will let them air dry or put them in the dryer on low prem press. 

No, they can't be laundered. Washing, even on the delicate cycle, will change the quality of the wool. It will become soft and lose it's firm body.  You will ruin the suit. 

A customer of our store returned a suit that looked hideous. Boss gave him a new suit. A few weeks later the second suit comes back looking awful. Boss asked me what was wrong. I wasn't sure. He emailed a picture to the factory, and the factory emailed back, "the suit was laundered, not dry cleaned." Once he said that, I could see that was what happened. Boss sent a carefully worded email to the customer to tell him we weren't going to replace the suit, and that he needed a new dry cleaner.

You can wash wool, and it *might* not shrink. And if your old pants were going to be used as a dog bed, that's fine. A suit will never have the finish and body one desires in a suit.

If they are that FRAGILE you bought paper clothes. They are second hand so who know what hell that has been through already.

Agitator is fine, soap is fine .  If you do not want to use agitator...put them in a large bucket or plastic garbage can filled with warmish water and HAND AGITATE THEM like is done by the RIVER PEOPLE beside a creek as they wash clothes.  You wash your hands and the clothes get washed and rinsed.  You need the soap to take out the other person's body sweat & "cooties"....then rinse in clean water and hang up to drip dry.  A dryer will shrink them.

. It was second hand clothes so not a big loss, even if it does muck up.

Check the fabric content first--if there is any wool in the suit, it will shrink and pull out of shape even in cold water or gentle cycle. So NOT recommended.

If they are polyester, rayon, or some other man-made fabric you CAN wash them--but with suits, you will really need to make sure you don't ruin the linings, or padding. This is easy to do if you put them in the washer. 

Here's a better idea: hang the suits outside in the sunlight rather than put them in the washer. Leave them outside in the sun for at least 4 hours. You can spray them with fabric refresher--like Febreeze--while they hang. 

When something says 'dry clean only' there's usually a good reason for it. You may not be able to see that reason directly--it may be the lining, padding, construction or fabric. 

And BTW: thrift stores are required to wash clothing before displaying or selling it. 

more than likely the label will say dry clean only.you can wash it on gentle and short cycle i worked at a dry cleaners and we did it every so often.same as silk blouse.just be sure to let it air dry

Read The Label.  Depending on what it's made from it could shrink, wrinkle, fall apart or dissolve. Home dry clean sheets work great. 

I did that once with something that was beautiful. After I washed it, it was always wrinkled and never looked good again. Of course after that, I always read the washing directions - put there by the manufacturer who knows the fabric and how to look after it. Ignoring them, you have only yourself to blame.

• Tulip

No. You can buy dry cleaning sheets tho

• Barry

It's well worth a go. 

NO, you will ruin them. The jackets will have bonding and fleece type fabric inside the shoulders and sleeves, and this will shrink and pull everything out of shape. You MAY get away with it with the trousers but the jackets will be finished. 

I have done it - one tip I have always used is to turn everything inside out. The thing you have to watch for is any padding/interfacing in the jacket can get distorted, so you are wise to do it on low temp, although most synthetics nowadays don't shrink. Safest is to do it by hand. You can add laundry disinfectant. Definitely don't tumble dry, but reshape and press when it is still damp.