Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 5 months ago

Would it be weird to give my daughter a Japanese name if we live in the U.S.?

Me and my husband are both Japanese and we live in the U.S., in Oregon. We are thinking of naming her Natsumi. We have another daughter and her name is more AMERICAN like, it’s Nikole. Would it be weird to give her a Japanese name?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Let’s be real. The truth is racism is alive and well in America. Be prepared to deal with racist reactions. Here in Hawaii, the Japanese locals have European first names and Japanese middle names. It’s a compromise. And Hawaii has lots of Japanese to boot. Your child will have to live with any racism that pops up even with a non-Japanese first name. Please consider very carefully.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

no, it's not weird. in fact, I actually think that's a perfect way to tie in your Japanese heritage :)

• 5 months ago

It is very common for people to choose names for their children reflecting their cultural heritage. With this in mind it would not be at all unusual or as you say weird to choose a Japanese name. I don't know what Natsumi means, but as long as it a proper Japanese name it has a nice sound to it.

• God
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I really think it's fine, but if you have a concern you might choose an American first name and Natsumi as her middle name.  Regardless, CONGRATULATIONS!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • edward
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. I know a girl named Nagisa. She told me her name means beach. Not sure if it’s true but she is Japanese, born in Canada. And know a few boys named Chika and one Akatsubaki (Akio for short) not sure if those mean anything but it’s just a name. I think as long as you have something easier for people to say it’s all good.

• 5 months ago

Not at all weird. Many people honor their cultural heritage by giving their children names that reflect it.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Natsumi Ruby, Natsumi Sapphire

• blank
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

In my opinion it is okay to do.

• 5 months ago

It's a nice name and there is no reason not to give it to her. 

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

While I understand your wish to show your heritage, funny sounding(to us)names will get her teased in school.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.