How do I tell if the fence is mine ?

How do I tell if the side fence is mine, I am having trouble telling if one side of the fence is mine, It needs to be replaced bad, and I don't know if it is mine or the neighbors. The neighbors trees are going through it and tearing it up, so it has to be replaced. If it is mine I plan on telling the neighbors to cut the trees back.

• Will.

Your house deeds will tell you if you own it or not. Or you could talk to your neighbour, and if he is not sure either you could both replace it and go halves with the cost.

If the runners of the fence the top the bottom and the middle is facing into your yard and the nice part of the fence is facing your neighbor. That's a good sign of it being your fence

Source(s): If they good side is facing your neighbor and middle runners are facing you . It's a good chance that is your friends
  • Mr. P

It will be marked on your property deeds which side you are responsible for.

If you want you can ask your neighbour if they know, and see if you can come to some arrangement over the trees that damaged it.

It could be that they own the fence but are not that bothered as they can't see it. In that case you can live with it or put up your own fence or screen or planting to hide it - but you don't have any ownership so you can't remove it.

Easy, you blow up the fence and then buy a new one

whose side of the property line is it on?

Ask your neighbors who put up the fence first--before you do anything. I have a fence that is mine, but the posts are NOT on my side of the property--so it CAN be yours even if the posts are not visible. If the neighbor's trees are damaging it, and it's yours, you can legally ask THEM to do something about it. I have that same issue--but the neighboring property is a vacant lot so I have no recourse but to take care of the problem myself--which is expensive and difficult. 

Find out for certain who owns the fence, and where your property lines are--you may have to have a surveyor come find out--and what your legal rights are before doing any repairs or corrections. It's not worth the bad blood between neighbors to cause problems you don't have to.

• TallPaul2 months agoReport

The best solution is to move to an area where people don't put up fences. 

In the UK, the rule is this:  Stand in front of your house, facing it. The fence on the left is yours, the fence on your right is your neighbours. 

$750 est. for a a line survey of your property if no markers are present. I paid $250 and just rebuilt that fence myself with the understanding that "adverse possession" was in play after the landlord next door refused to chip in. Have the city inspect it first and make a determination.

• Nuff Sed

"Adverse possession"?? Don't be ridiculous.

You have the property line officially marked.

your plat of survey will show whose property the fence is on