Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My grandpa,recently dead,asked me to scatter his ashes in Guadalcanal,not near grandma's grave. What do you think about his decision?

My grandpa fought in Guadalcanal. He passed away last month and he made me promise to him that once dead I'd have his ashes scattered in Guadalcanal where hundreds of his fellow Marines lost theirlives for our freedom. He made me promise that once dead I'd scatter his ashes there. Now if I think about it it makes me so sad..One one hand it surprised and saddened me that he didn't want to stay near grandma. On the other,I feel a tremendous respect for him that he wanted to be with his fellow Marines again..what do you think about his decision?

Anonymous: lets' do the math. guadalcanal was 1942. He was 18. He was born in 1924. My dad was born in 1960. I was born in 1993 when grandpa was 69. You feel better now?

Keep your promise or you will be a jerk 

I think his request is fine. It was what he wanted--but if it makes you feel somewhat better, why not just take a few of his ashes and scatter or bury them near your grandma, and the rest at Guadalcanal? 

This is something your grandpa obviously felt very strongly about and I feel his wishes should be respected. 

I think it's dumb.  It's a ridiculous trip for no reason.

Just go dump them in the pacific ocean and remember Guadalcanal is in the Pacific..

What's he gonna do.. come back and spank you..

Honor your Grandfathers wishes.........;

From what I'm reading this is not allowed.  I suppose you could be in stealth mode ...

you might need to postpone it till all the shutdowns are over with

Neither Grandpa, nor his Marine buddies, nor Grandma are in either location.  Their bodies may be there, but like hair on the barbershop floor or our nail clippings, we drop of body cells and move on.

You made a promise in order to make Grandpa feel better, now you have to do something to make yourself feel better.   Splitting the ashes (as others suggested) probably is the best compromise.

• PAMELA

It was up to him, but you could scatter 50% of his ashes near grandma and the other 50% in guadalcanal.

You could scatter part his ashes in both locations.  

Face it, he's not going to know or care.  All he knows when he died is that you promised to do it so he was likely happy thinking he would be back with his buddies that didn't return.