Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Is autism or what was called Autistic Disorder considered a mild, moderate or severe disability or does it vary?

I'd imagine it varies?

What about Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

varies by person. there are actually 3 'levels' Level 1 is mild, level 2 moderate, level 3 severe

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i think it depends on the person

• 2 months ago

There is an Autism Spectrum [See source.]. It ranges from the totally dysfunctional at the most severe end down to the least or not-dysfunctional at the other end. Asperger's Syndrome is now included in this spectrum I'm not familiar with PDD-NOS.

So, my point, mild, moderate, and severe are all included in the Autism Spectrum. Simply put where one stands in the spectrum depends on the degree of dysfunctionality of the autistic person.

I have an Asperger's relative who is not only not dysfunctional, but he's about to graduate from college and has been serving on the university's Student Government Body. He's a BMOC at that university. [NOTE: I learned through him that Bill Gates is also Asperger's. Didn't seem to hurt him much did it?]

The most obvious issue from his syndrome is that he occasionally has to leave the table in a restaurant because the smells and noise of the place are overwhelming him. So he steps outside for a bit, calms down, and then comes back in to finish his meal.

If you or a loved one is suspected of having Asperger's get yourself or them to professional help ASAP. With professional help Asperger's kids can not only get by in life, they can excel.

Source(s): Autism spectrum disorder is a condition related to brain development that impacts how a person perceives and socializes with others, causing problems in social interaction and communication. The disorder also includes limited and repetitive patterns of behavior.
  • 2 months ago

Autism Spectrum Disorder is an umbrella term for a bunch of developmental disorders that fall under that category. Aspergers (now called High Functioning Autism) is one such disorder along with PDD-NOS. However, it should should be noted that nature does not respect the human need to categorize everything. In other words, every person with autism, though they may share common traits is completely unique. It’s my person theory that sociopaths and psychopath might fit somewhere in there as well (though that doesn’t mean people with autism are inherently dangerous). 

• Starlight 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Asperger's is still called Asperger's. And calling someone high functioning is insulting to the person, because it implies failure of some sort.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.