Is four ton too big for my house?

I lives in 1920sq ft. and has 12 return vents and low speed air handler for a cooling space of 1600 sq ft. If I add another ductwork, it would make it to 1800 sq ft. I'm from Pensacola, Florida. Is four ton too big for that area? I lives in an old house built in 1961. Also, when I turned the air conditioner on, it took about an hour to bring the temperature down to 72 degree inside. Does that mean it's too big?

There are many factors in your home that affect the proper size of your central air conditioner, such as the height of your ceilings and the type and thickness of your insulation, square feet, where you live, and amount of shade your home gets. You live in Florida which is zone 1 the hottest zone. Looking at the zone chart it would normally take a 3.5 ton unit for your home in Florida. But on a home this old that may not be enough. You need to have an expert come in and evaluate your home to know for sure you get the right size. Here is a good article on this for you to read. https://asm-air.com/airconditioning/what-size-cent...

the type of construction and insulation [especially in attic], plus exposure to sun, make huge differences. a proper evaluation by a professional is required to get reliable advice.

• Droopy

Hard to tell unless you find a guy in fla.  In VA that sqft it be a 3ton estimate without laying eyes on install.  But fla is lot more humid an hot than here.  So it would definitely be bigger. 

You didn't say the temperaturein house before you turned it on.  But if it ran a hour that's good it ran long enough to remove humidity from air an did reach temperature.  So I'd say your good.  

If it was oversized it would short cycle.  Which it would cut on bring the temperature down fast an cut off.  Which won't remove the humidity which in fla would be very important to remove.

With out more information about how well the house is insulated and how many windows it has it is difficult to know for sure. I can say this, I have a 2,000 square foot single story house built in 2000. It is fairly well insulated and has the usual number of windows. It has a 4 ton central air conditioner. It is quite adequate for the house but we do not normally set it as low as 72 degrees in the summer time. That is a bit too cool. We tend to run it at 75 to 76 degrees. The house is located in Waco Texas where 95 to 105 degrees are common in the summer