Lucy asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Are we always going to be unjust if we were anonymous or invisible?

Will we always go against our morals if we didn't have to suffer consequences? Im trying to comprehend this using different philosophical understandings on virtue and justice.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

look at a court case and hear the demands for retribution?

not justice, they want payment and sacrifice. that was sin when christ died. you know?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Plato had a dialogue concerning this. It is called the Ring of Gyges.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A person's character is said to be more evident when the person is alone, in her home, has the Ring of Gyges https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges  Character relates to what one truly loves, e.g. God as Love, or something lesser in first place.

It is of the mercy of God that karma brings opportunity and situation as teacher.

Related:

"Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet;

"Autobiography of a Yogi" by Yogananda;

"The Great Divorce" by C. S. Lewis;

"Beams from Meher Baba;"

"Answers" by Mother Meera.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, but the temptation is that much greater for those who fail to take responsibility for their actions. Morals can be good or bad and vary from individual to individual.

In the context of your question in virtue it's not applicable, in justice true annonimity renders it untouchable 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No.

But I do have to ask you, when you say “we”, who do you mean?

You please people in that category of “we“ who may not want to be there.

If you use your own conscience as that guide you do not have to be unjust when you are anonymous, and if you are anonymous you do not have to be unjust. This is because you suffer the consequences of the injustice as much as the other person. You are the one who has to live with yourself.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Always? No. Sometimes - yes. Just watch the world around you. Isn't it apparent, or do you ignore your surroundings?

• 2 months ago

We get some boost from the awareness of consequences, but no, generally we follow our own morals both in public and in private.

• 2 months ago

People do kind things anonymously all the time.   Go fund me filled with people trying to provide help to others.  That’s bringing justice. 

• 2 months ago

It’s said that it’s human nature to defy virtue when given the opportunity, though many have an internal compass that knows the behavior(s) defy their belief system, and have restraint.

• 2 months ago

I see what you're saying, but I think the truth is really this. Humans are not all the same. Obviously, right? Two of the most profound things about humans is our awareness and ability to choose. We're not just instinctual like other beings. I honestly believe that your early environment in life helps you choose what kind of person you are in the long run to a large degree. If you had a lot of genuine love, even just a really great great friend perhaps, it can become impossible to turn to darkness entirely, you will always turn back after a little flirt with it. What I mean is some things will affect some so much in their youth, that their choices thereafter will revolve around this experience or experiences that they shared with another. I think some cannot go against their conscience. They would rather die with honor, but it really depends on the things that impact that person's life, especially in early life as I said. Many people would do bad things if they could get away with it at any certain moment in time. Others believe too much in higher things to do so. See why the ancients believed so much that dedication to a higher power of some sort was important? If you really study them. Many of the ancient cultures are so much more down to earth and far more intelligent than our cultures today if you really look at them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.