C asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Anyone else barely know their siblings?

I have two brothers who I barely know due to the fact that we are 12 and 15 years apart lol. By the time I was 6 they were both already moved out of the house. (My mom struggled with infertility and miscarriages for a decade before she had me). It's weird to admit to admit that I barely know my siblings lol. Is anyone else like this?

I did not have that issue but my dad did.  His father got divorced and married a woman 15 yrs younger then him, and that was when my dad was almost 25.  So my dad has 2 brothers 25-28 yrs younger then him.  My uncles are 7-11 yrs older then me.  But you can get to know them if you want. It is just takes a little work and time.  

yea alot of siblings dont really know each other, its ok

• Jane

My sisters are 5 and 7 years older than me, I grew up almost as an only child, and as this age difference is even greater you didn't have much contact with your brothers growing up. As an adult, I've gained a much closer connection with my sisters. We have been able to grow past being children, and able to share our adult lives of partners, jobs, kids of our own. So for you-you might be age 22, 34 and 37 etc- at different life stages whatever your ages. And remember that age is just one factor in a person's life, it does not determine what a person thinks, their values, politics,music tastes etc. If you would like to connect with your bros, just go for it in a courageous way. If they don't respond immediately, don't give up straight away but also don't spend your life being the one in your family who strives to bring blood together. I have many friends, my husband and daughter- I feel connected in any case, and I also love the fact that me and my sisters have managed to build bridges.You are not alone.

Lots of siblings with big age gaps.  I know a family with a 1st grader and an 11th grader.  Nothing weird or strange about it.

I have a half-sibling from my mom... and two from my dad.

I grew up with my maternal half-sibling... one of the very few people I "know," in other words one of the few people I have regular communication with.

Via 23andme I found my (biological) dad for the 1st time in 37 years of being alive.

I've met and chatted with him a couple times... but have never met (and probably won't meet) my two half-sisters.

They seem suspicious and/or creeped out about it to where they just don't want to even bother.

It's alright, though. 

They're pretty cool, from what I've seen from Facebook. 

i feel like i barely know mine since they never want to contact me

On the one hand I know them all too well.  On the other hand I hardly know them at all.

I have a half brother, and maybe an older half sister, but I really don't know if I have any older siblings. The only sibling who I met was my younger half brother, and no we didn't grow up together, so I barely know him.

You think that's something? I have two older brothers. one is three years older then me and the other is 6 years older then me. Me and my oldest brother had a falling out while still living in the same house, and we haven't spoken to each other in years, even though we still live in the same house. And anytime we have to walk past each other, we walk past each other without even acknowledging the other's existance. The reason for this drift is because he was a big troublemaker, and he was always causing fights, so I decided screw him, I want nothing to do with him anymore. And we haven't talked since.

I have a brother that’s 13 years apart from me and he was out of the house by the time I was in 3rd grade. I used to cry about not being close with him and my other brother when I was younger but as I got older I slowly got to know them and it doesn’t bother me anymore.