Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Will an unemployed US citizen get a stimulus check? ?

I have been a nanny/babysitter and i've made enough money to purchase my needs. Now that COVID-19 is a thing, nobody needs me and i'm not making any money. I was a 2018-2019 college student and I'm curious to know if i'd be getting anything due to the stimulus check? I don't pay taxes because my babysitting jobs are usually just quick favors.

Update:

Some of you have assumed that i'm an adult who pays bills and takes advantage of my opportunities. I hate to say it, but I did a terrible job at explaining myself so heres some extra information. I'm a lot younger than you think and I don't pay any bills. By "quick favors" I meant that these baby-sitting jobs are $15 jobs and the needs they pay for are hygienic necessities.  

Also, I filed a W-9 tax form 2 months ago for something i've been apart of but I haven't been paid for the job yet. 

Update 2:

I'm 21 and nobody claims me on their tax return. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Being uemployed doesn't stop you from being eligible, but if you're a dependent you are not eligible.

• julie2 months agoReport

Thanks Judy! 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You won't get a check right now. However, you might get the money next year when you file your 2020 tax return.

You do need to pay taxes on your income if it totals $400 or more for the year.

If you really make that little, your parents would have claimed you as a dependent.

I'm surprised that you haven't found any babysitting jobs. With all the kids out of school, any parent who is still working needs a babysitter. Of course, those parents are probably going to get infected, so you might not want to interact with them.

Thanks for your response! And yeah no, in my area people are taking all kinds of precautions so everyone is staying at home. People aren't even walking their dogs on the same side of the street anymore. 

• 2 months ago

Your current employment doesn't matter. What matters is your 2018 and/or 2019 tax returns. If you did not file returns, then you get no check.

Quick favors or not, that income is taxable. You are now seeing one of the down sides of not filing.

I totally understand and I wasn't expecting anything to begin with. I very recently started babysitting for friends and family and I was only asking out of wonders. I wasn't sure, so I asked. That's all. 🙂 

Thanks for your response! 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Julie,did you file taxes in 2018 and 2019 ?

Did your parents claim you as a dependent  ?

Did you file for UEI ?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I assume you are a minor who is claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return.  That being the case, you do not get a check.  Your parents get a little extra.  

"Each qualifying dependent under age 17 will be worth an additional $500. This amount will be added to the check of their legal guardian. at you are listed as an dependent on your parents' tax return."

https://www.taxslayer.com/blog/2020-coronavirus-st...

I'm 21 and nobody claims me on their tax return, I don't think and if they didn't, what would that mean? Thanks for reaching out! 

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In your current circumstances, you will not receive a stimulus check when they are issued.  That is because you have not filed a tax return for either 2018 or 2019.  You can try to efile for 2019 if you had income and you could not be claimed as a dependent.  The same is true for 2018, but you would have to go to a pro to efile a past-year return.  

• 2 months ago

I am not American but I have been reading about stimulus checks and only tax payers will get them based on the taxes they paid in 2018. so no, u do not pay taxes u do not get anything

• John
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

"...only tax payers will get them based on the taxes they paid in 2018..."  That is incorrect.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, you don't get rewarded for being a tax cheater.

• 2 months ago

If you file taxes, then you get the check, even if you don't have to pay any taxes.

But if you don't receive social security benefits AND you don't file taxes, then you don't get the check.

If you want the check, then file taxes so that you can get the check.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So you have not file taxes, not paid into the system yet earned money and you think the tax payer ( who is paying that money) should send you money when you are not part of the system..narrrr

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.