Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Question for people who's cats have asthma.?

So to start, my cat has NOT been diagnosed with asthma, but "alleges" and YES I have been working with a vet, we've been at this for awhile.

For the last year or so (i've only had my cat 1.5 years) my cat has had issues where he bites/over grooms his legs/arms and feet to a point where his arms are half bald.

We've ruled out behavioral issues, because he's been on and off steroids (trying to rule out seasonal allergies) and every time he's been on it, its worked wonders. Our most recent attempt by a hypoallergenic diet thinking food allergies might be the case. It seemed to work for awhile but he's gotten bad again.

Now, i've noticed once in awhile (very very rarely) he gets tease coughing fits that last 5-15 seconds. That's it. I haven't thought too much of it because its so rare and it doesn't cause him much distress, Its short lived and he goes back to normal, right after, doesn't lose color in the gums, or appear to be struggling to breath. He's a lazy cat as is so i can't say much about activity effecting it.

ANYWAY main point. For those of you who's cats have asthma, do you have any experience with them also being itchy? Or skin picking habits? Is there a link or coloration to allergies?

yes i am going to go back to the vet, (its going to have to wait a bit with all this virus stuff) and plan on setting him up for allergy testing, but I want to know if this could possibly be worth exploring as an answer as well.

Update:

Again I am not terribly concerned about asthma. it can be months in between seeing a coughing fit and they are super short and don't cause any additional distress. that is why i haven't explored it really.

I really just want to know if people have any experience with asthma cats being itchy or seemingly itchy

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lauren
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Just like people who have a tendency for asthma/allergies, those things can certainly go together. Has your cat ever had a chest radiograph, or at least had one in the past year? It's probably a good idea to have that looked at since she coughs sometimes. Coughing is not a typical allergy symptom of cats. 

Since this skin issue has been going on for so long, it means that the underlying cause has not been addressed. The best thing would be to take her to a veterinary dermatologist. Just like human dermatologists, they have additional training after all the basics have been covered. Like you said, it's not possible right now due to the virus going around but it's the best next step. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

" We've ruled out behavioral issues, because he's been on and off steroids " Behavioural issues have nothing at all to do with steroids and very few vets know or are trained in behaviour issues, they are medical professionals , NOT behaviourists....and steroids wreck their immune system and their immune system is what protects them from 'allergies' which are normally from poor quality ingredients in foods fed and'or parasites.

Gum shade sounds like blood issues and that is somethig the vet can test and could be anything from the cat could have anemia which is a condition in which you lack enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your body's tissues. Having anemia can make you feel tired and weak to an internal bleed or suffering from parasites

• Lauren
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Steroids don't wreck the immune system unless they are high dose and long term. If steroids make an animal feel better, it's worth it. Please don't say that "very few vets are trained in behavior issues." There are SO many vets out there that have additional training on behavior/fear free practice.

• patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Try Feliway. It emits good pheremones and makes the cat act better. If the cat has allergies this may be why he is scratching so much

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.