Cant File for Tax return?

So i was working at a retail clothing store as a seasonal position. I was working fulltime as well as overtime. I worled there for about 3 months today , 9.15 dollars an hour if that helps.

I tried filing for tax return however when i went there the man had told me i couldnt due to the fact that i would be only getting back 0.33 cents as he showed me on my W2 form. I am confused because there were taxes being took out of my checks weekly. What do I do??? Is this normal???. 

Btw: i started in november 2019 on black friday.ended january 29th

The man was wrong, you can still file. Do it at any free site. You don't need someone else to do it for you. Income taxes are not the only taxes withheld from your check. You do not always get back all the income taxes that are withheld.

• Shay

ANYONE can file a tax return.

"The man" who told you that is WRONG.  It does not matter how much you would or would not get back - you CAN file.

Look at Box 2 of your W-2 form.  If your only income for the year is from that W-2, then the amount in box 2 is the amount that you would most likely get for a refund.  Other taxes, such as social security and medicare are NOT refundable on a tax return.

Amounts less than $1 will not be refunded - so if box 2 only has 33 cents - then you wouldn't get a refund - BUT YOU CAN STILL FILE.  If box 2 has more than 33 cents, then "the man" might be deducting his fees and telling you that you gain nothing by having him do your taxes.

Go to a tax website - like turbo tax - and answer the questions and fill out the information that they ask for - and see what the forms come up with.  On your level of income with such a simple return - you should be able to do it for yourself for free.  

By the way - you don't "file for a tax return".  You file a tax return to see if you qualify for a tax refund.

You can file. You just can't go there and use that man to file, because HE won't be making enough money.

If you want to file, then you can either do it on your own, without going there or using that man, or you can go somewhere else and use someone else.

Just because you had tax deducted from your pay checks doesn't automatically mean you will get a refund. If the amount of tax you owe is the same as the total amount deducted from your checks, you get no refund. If the tax is more, you owe more money. If the tax is less, you get a refund.

Use credit karma to file your taxes, it is free. It is also very easy to use. By filing you will also be eligible for that $1,200 stimulus check. If you do not file, no check.

• Judy

What you get back, if anything, is irrelevant, so you probably misunderstood what he said. What he might have been saying is that you didn't make enough to HAVE to file,and it wouldn't make sense to pay $100 or so to get nothing, or 33 cents, back. Since most software rounds to the nearest dollar, you wouldn't even get the 33 cents. Most of the tax taken out from your paychecks were for things like social security and medicare, in boxes 4 and 6 on your W-2. You don't get those back.

• NA

If you made less than $12,200, then his comment makes sense.  You weren't required to file and apparently were too young to qualify for anything that would create a larger refund.

If you made more than $12,200, you actually were supposed to file, you just wouldn't have gotten a refund.

When you look at your W-2, what is in box 1 and box 2?  Boxes 3-6 don't count.

You only worked a few days in 2019, not the whole 3 months. I guess you started working on December 29, 2019 so you only worked 3 days in 2019. 

• Kae2 months agoReport

I started on black friday which was in november. And tyen ended january 29th

• CiCi

You have to wait until next year taxes

• John2 months agoReport

No, you will just have to do this year's taxes without the help of this "man."  The IRS does not turn away anybody's tax return, for any reason, period.  If you have a name and live on Planet Earth, then you are allowed to submit a tax return, refund or no refund.