I need to put in vac tube into wall?

I also have central vac system in my 1970s house and am moving the outlet location about 15 inches due to remodeling.  The tube runs vertically up into the attic and has to go through any and all horizontal 2x4s it encounters along the way; and, since you may not know where all of them are, and since the tube is longer than my attic is tall, I had to remove the drywall, cut new openings in 2x4s for the tube, and then install it in new location.  This required splicing in a new length of tubing in the attic as well [new location was 15 inches farther away from the central vac].

All of the required tubing, joins, and parts can be purchased online from vacuum parts supplier.  The tubing is PVC and the normal PVC 'cement' will work just fine.

After installing the tube in new location, [and using hole saw to drill new opening in the top plate (top horizontal 2x4 in the wall)], one puts up drywall in the normal way, leaving hole for the tube to go through, etc.

you'll also have to lengthen and splice the 24v control wire that runs from the central vac to the vac system wall plate -- be SURE to test this before removing to see that it actually is 24v [mine is -- but yours may not be.  Different gauge wire is required if yours runs on house current -- some older systems may have done that because they use the house current to power a vacuum head (carpet head).]

This is a moderate DIY project -- because it requires doing work in the attic and a selection of power tools.

Source(s): grampa