Do you take any medication for your blood pressure or cholesterol? Do you find it absurd to take them forever instead of dealing with source?

been on a cholesterol medication for some time now and I've noticed my doctor hasn't even bothered to check my levels to see if it's even doing anything.

I also take metoprolol but something tells me the reason for my high bp can and should be pinpointed and then treated instead of giving me meds for just symptoms of a condition. 

you all might want to research metaprolol and diabetes----increases your chances of getting diabetes by 60%--

yes western medicine is all about the symptoms.

• Jamie

I do take a statin . My bad cholesterol was slightly raised and my good cholesterol was ( quote ) 'Through the roof ' Now my harmful cholesterol is in the correct range. It is reviewed annually with my diabetic review .

I couldn't agree with you more.

Here's something few people know...

While in medical school, doctors spend around 600 teaching hours learning the effects of pharmaceuticals on the physiology of the human body while only about 6 teaching hours are devoted to nutrition.

This is why they can't find the cause of health problems, but they can prescribe medication for just about anything.

The main thing they don't understand (and even deny) is the role of water. Water makes up around 75% of the body with some areas having more: the brain is 85% water, the lungs are 90% water, and the blood is 94% water.

They can't wrap their heads around why water makes up so much of the body, and it's even more difficult when they claim that water is an inert substance with no medicinal value. Thus, they throw water out the window (figuratively speaking) before they ever start considering the cause of anything (why consider the cause when you have medication to control it?).

The fact is, water regulates every function in the body and thus is the most important nutrient the body needs to live. Ignore this factoid and nothing else works.

Something else that people don't realize is that there are two oceans in the body. The cells consist of freshwater while there is a water/salt mix (nearly identical to actual ocean water) that fills the extracellular region. Both of these oceans of water need to stay in a critical balance.

And finally, one other thing that people don't stop to realize is that they lose around 2 quarts of water per day through normal body function that must be replaced.

Since the medical profession doesn't understand the role of water, they advise drinking "fluids" which aren't the same as water nor do they have the same function as water. There is no substitute for water.

And since every function is tied to water, this impairs the many functions, and health problems develop as a result.

Both high blood pressure and cholesterol buildup are caused by chronic dehydration. The blood pressure issue is almost self-explanatory when you think about it. Less water increases the blood's viscosity which, in turn, increases the workload on the heart (there's more to it than that, but that's the path to follow).

Cholesterol is a little more difficult to understand.

When doctors test for cholesterol they take a blood sample from a vein in the arm. Yet, there's no recorded case of cholesterol ever blocking a vein. Cholesterol only builds up in the arteries. And this creates a puzzler, itself.

Venous blood moves slower than arterial blood, which is under higher pressure. Cholesterol should develop in the lower pressurized flow before the higher pressure, wouldn't one think?

The reason it doesn't is that the higher pressure of the concentrated blood (due to dehydration) damages the tissues. Cholesterol is one of the body's defenses. It covers and protects the damaged tissue like a waterproof bandage until it can be repaired.

When the medical profession prescribes medication to lower the cholesterol, the damaged tissues are exposed to the acidic blood, which triggers the formation of more cholesterol to protect it. This creates a never-ending cycle and the person remains on medication for the rest of their life.

Another thing about the blood pressure issue is salt. Doctors demonize salt, claiming that we get too much of it in processed foods, which leads to high blood pressure.

This is yet another indicator of their lack of knowledge.

While it's true we do get too much salt in processed foods, the thing that doctors are overlooking is, there are no storage areas in the body to store nutrients for future use. The body uses what nutrients it needs and discards the rest - most of the excess salt is lost in the urine. Salt is also lost through the skin (ever had a dog or cat start licking you? They're attracted to the salt on your skin).

When the body holds onto salt it does so for a reason (and not to increase the blood pressure). It does so because people don't drink enough water and retaining salt is the body's only defense to prevent cell damage due to a lack of sufficient water.

Thus, the body is water deficient, and this is why it holds onto salt. This completely undermines the medical theory of high blood pressure which states that too much salt holds too much water in the vessels.

This can be verified simply by observing a drop of blood from your finger. Dehydration will give the blood a thicker consistency and a dark red color. Properly hydrated blood will be lighter in color and have a more fluid consistency.

Because the blood is 94% water, water is a natural blood thinner.

The only connection between high blood pressure and too much salt is that both are signs of dehydration - that's where the connection ends.

In both cases, increasing the water intake will correct the problems. Do not stop taking prescribed medications, since water is compatible with all medications. When your doctor sees that you no longer need them, then he will reduce or take you off of them completely.

High blood pressure should take about a week or less to fix and cholesterol...you should see positive results the next time you're scheduled for a test.(NOTE: I've not taken medication of any kind for around 15 years. At one time I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, emphysema, kidney failure and more. Today, even the emphysema is so controlled that I have no adverse effects from it.)

• nonpartisan

Kate - let me know the results. A lot of people in here discredit me because they've never tried it and thus have never proven it for themselves. They're adhered too much to the lame textbook myths.

In high blood pressure, medical folks do not know the cause, in about 95% of cases. We do have treatment to lower it. 5% of the time it is from stenosis of the renal artery and that CAN be fixed.

Your liver is the reason you make too much Cholesterol, in part with your diet. 

Your genes and congenital reasons make a big part of it as well. 

Hard to "fix" those reasons!!

• nonpartisan

Cholesterol forms exactly as I described, and it can be corrected exactly as I described - I am living proof. Call me "uninformed" if you like, but I've maintained my health for 15 years without the need for any medications whatsoever. When you can make the same claim, come and see me.

• Tavy

You can lower your cholesterol by going on a fat free diet, diet, I did.

As for BP, it depends if you are a stressed person and your age.

• audrey

Yes. Metoprolol, prevastatin. I have no problem with taking a couple of pills everyday.