Why is the USA do afraid of motoring technology?

The USA is one of the most technologically advanced countries, yet the attitude to cars is stuck in the 60s.

Fuel efficient 4 cyl car with 200bhp and 40 mpg. No thanks, I want a V8 with less power that does 10mpg.

Fuel injection? Hell no, I’ll stick with these big polluting carbs.

Synthetic oil ? No, I like changing it every week.

Adventurous is considered buying a US made Honda or Toyota. 

German cars? No thanks, Unreliable, can’t be fixed with a 2 piece tool set and anyway I love the acres of plastic in my Chevy.

Turbocharging? Pure witchcraft.

And then when they do make something with some power, muscle cars, they stay with stock brakes and suspension so they’re only good in a straight line.

Why?

Americans are lazy......and stupid.

• M.
      4 weeks agoReport

Some are, unfortunately, 
      But some aren't!

Nice bit of snark.  We all know what you really drive. 

They're not afraid of technology (not the type you're talking about), they just don't want to sell a lot of it.  It's a market thing, not a fear thing.

Powerful cars with big loud engines is what American buyers want.  They don't want tight handling, they don't want fuel economy, and they don't want no hippie vans.  And don't even get them started on German engineering, because even the Germans aren't happy when a set of plug wires costs 70% of their vehicle's current resale value.

Yankee automakers are going to give their customers what the customers want, because that's how the money is made.  

Manufacturers find making big cars= big profits

Small cars= lower profits.

Profit is all they are interested in.

We are not afraid of a 4 cylinder car with 200 HP. Dang- I owned one of those back in the late 80's. True I modified a stock Ford 2.3 and was pushing 300 HP with mostly stock parts. But it didn't get 40mpg (28.5).

So take your rant some place else because I am not alone in my love for 4 cylinder (or even a 3 cylinder one) engine that has turbocharging.

As for German  junk- it is still German junk (even when assembled in the USA). From Audi to VW it is all inferior engineering and materials.

By the way Ford was producing a 4 cylinder engine with 1500 horsepower (for racing) long before you were probably born.

• F

I was just commenting on the impression I got from the answers given in this forum. As for German junk, I would agree their not as reliable as they’d have you believe,  but they are way superior to US brands. I’ve owned Jeeps that were way behind European or Japanese both in quality and technology

Most of the car technology was invented by the racing industry. Although the racing industry copied the electronic suspension invented by Cadillac. The less complicated something is to engineer and operate and maintain, the more reliable it is for one particular application. Example, their are aircraft that require several weeks to remove and replace one jet engine. Some can do the same in three days or less. One might be very sophisticated but is a liability during war time. You need something that is easy to maintain and can be repaired quickly versus something that takes a staggering amount of time to repair or maintain. Time isn't just money, it equals lives as well.

Take a look at American cars built in THIS century.

• arther

What rubbish its mostly old blokes that play with carbys.

Your making up bullshit and getting carried away with the idea you are right what are majority of the cars on the road?

9 times out of 10 when a bloke says give me a carby any day he can't tune that properly either.

• arther

some blokes on here must change their oil monthly if they were salesmen it would be weekly .Who really does that twice a year need it or not.if it don't need synthic I don't put it in.

Not too long ago, it took 400 cubic inches to make 300 (brake) horsepower.  Now you can make that with 100 ci.  Thank computer controls for making that possible.

But I doubt if too many companies are investing much in further development of the internal combustion engine.  Everything is going electric . . . car manufacturers will buy their batteries and motors and computers from the same suppliers . . . . . all cars will be designed for aerodynamics, not looks.  The difference between makes will be the grade of leather on the seats......about as exiting as a dishwasher.  So - cars become appliances - you use them until they break then junk them.  Too bad.

• Baal
      1 week agoReport

The 3.5 liter V-6 in my 2010 Dodge Challenger puts out 250 hp, while the 3.6 liter Pentastar engine in later models put out 305 hp.

30 years ago just called - it wants you back.

• Jay P

There are a lot of incorrect assumptions in your question F.

You're not getting a gasoline only 4-cylinder, 200 HP vehicle that can do 40 MPG using US gallons.  The most fuel efficient non-hybrid gasoline vehicle sold in the US today is the Mitsubishi Mirage.  It's officially rated as 43 MPG highway and 39 MPG combined.  But its power is far below 200 HP.  Try closer to only 1/3 of that number and it's a 3 cylinder.  

The last carburetor-equipped vehicle sold in North America was the very late 80's or early 90's.

While there is certainly a loyalty to the BIG 3 ( GM, Ford, and Chrysler ) within the US, many people buy from the Asian and European auto manufacturers as well.

Whether you are a fan of forced induction or not, US consumers are not getting as many choices these days if they want to stick with naturally aspirated engines.  Fuel economy standards are tightening worldwide and a general trend within the automotive industry is to downsize their engines ( both displacement and number of cylinders ) and adding turbocharging to achieve better fuel economy and still maintaining power levels people want/expect. 

• F

Mercedes, BMW, VW and Ford all have 2litre diesels with 200bhp.
      BMWs 3 litre diesel comes  with 313bhp from the factory and is easily tuneable to 400. Massive turque 700 lb ft too.