Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Is mileage an important aspect when looking for a new car?

Absolutely yes. 

For a new car, it's extremely important.  Because if a car has high mileage, it sure as hell ain't new.

A new car should not have any mileage on it(well, less than 100) as people do take cars out for a test drive and the car is moved around the car lot and stuff.

If you are talking about an old car that is "new to you" then figure with 10K per year on the odometer as being about average use.  If the number is much greater than that like 30K per year average or higher, then the car has been used as a delivery vehicle or TAXI which means more wear on the engine than a car with lower mileage.  If it were a diesel, then the higher mileage would still do it no harm...as diesel is an oily fuel so next to no wear happens.

If you talk about MPG ratings, gasoline prices are going to go up(never down again) so most of your expense is in fuel, so you want a Miser on fuel.

Sometimes all of it goes out the window when it is a car I wanted and I am getting for cheap...like a Lambo, or Maserati, or HemiCuda that is still "Cherry"

• Ramiro

No, the more mileage a car has usually means it was very well taken care of. It had maintanence checks, tune ups etcetera. It usually means the engine and the transmision were replaced or reconstructed at some point. The cars you should watch out for are old cars with very little miles. It usually means the car just sat in a garage rotting, or it had problems preventing it from running well. If you had a choice of these two cars...buy the car with more mileage. Im talking about older classic cars though

• Edna

Maybe yes; maybe no. If it's the mileage shown on the odometer, that would be important.

If you're talking about miles per gallon, that would be important depending upon how many miles you expect to drive in a year's time, and the fluctuating cost per gallon of gasoline in your area. If I was going to be driving around only in my local area for shopping or running errands, miles per gallon wouldn't be too terribly important to me. If I was regularly making long trips, it would be. 

Yup. As the old saying goes, "It's not the age, it's the mileage". Miles driven put wear and tear on the entire car, top to bottom, inside and out.

It's important to me.

• Scott

A new car should have minimal mileage, so no. It does matter when buying a used car.

Yes it's important but you should also look at other factors such as past accidents, maintenance, and the price. For me I go with a car with slightly higher mileage with no accidents over one that is lower mileage but has also been in an accident 

Depends on your situation, doesn’t it?  It’s important to me, as I have a one hour commute both ways, with heavy traffic.  So I bought a hybrid and I’ve been pleased with that decision.  If you don’t have to drive a lot of miles, gas mileage may not matter much to you at all.