Sara asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

How can a pregnant women have a baby in a hospital during COVID 19??

My brother wife is pregnant and she’s giving a birth this month and this time is so scary with this virus been going on. Is pregnant women giving a birth in a hospital. I have a birth before COVID 19 reach us I’m lucky March 6th so what about all this pregnant women who are due this month 

• Edna

A woman giving birth in a hospital during the COVID-19 outbreak has nothing to worry about. When she goes into labor, she'll check into the hospital and she'll give birth in a delivery room in a sterile environment, just the same as she would always do. The baby will probably sleep in the hospital's sterile nursery. If she has a normal vaginal delivery, she and the baby will probably go home the next day. 

If she has a C-section, she'll probably spend a couple of days in the hospital, but her hospital  room will be a sterile environment, and nurses who are wearing sterile gloves and scrubs will be taking care of her and the baby.

In MANY hospitals (even in normal times), no one (except perhaps the father) is allowed to visit on the Maternity Floor - especially not when the baby is in the room with the mother. 

Source(s): BIL is an OB/GYN, & sister is an OB RN.

The labor & delivery patients/nursery etc. are kept totally separate from COVID patients. Yes, I agree it's scary but Covid was around on March 6th too... just didn't have as much testing- and I'm assuming you are fine. Good luck to your sister in law.

• Tulip

What about them?

• MissA

Well, the options are:

1.Give birth in a hospital.

2. Give birth in a freestanding birth center.

3. Give birth at home with a midwife.

4. Give birth at home by yourself.

Options 1-3 ALL have some risk of exposure to the virus  Unless you're Gwyneth Paltrow or somebody you can basically guarantee you are not your doctor or midwife's only patient.

As far as option four goes, yes, an unassisted childbirth does not involve any exposure to people outside of your household.  Personally I would never go for an unassisted childbirth if I was delivering a baby who I wanted to live, but that's an option.

A hospital L&D ward is even in nonpandemic times the healthiest place to be in a hospital... because hospitals aren't stupid.  They know the people in that ward are generally healthy people and should not be exposed to unhealthy people.  You don't get parked to deliver your baby in the bed next to someone with MRSA or tuberculosis.  With the pandemic going on they are being super-plus more careful... in hardhit cities like NYC some hospitals are keeping everybody out except for the mom.

A hospital is the safest place to have a baby and I still believe that to be true.  Childbirth is intrinsically dangerous, and having skilled people and ample resources around to manage it is what has made it not that way.

They won't admit her, they will send you home to have it there and hopefully everything goes okay.

• Edna

Anon:  OF COURSE  a hosptial is going to admit a woman who's in labor  -  corona virus or no corona virus. They're NOT going to send her home. 

• LizB

If she's not a good candidate for a home birth and hasn't been spending her pregnancy preparing for it, then she is safer at the hospital than at home, virus or no virus.

• Jill

The maternity ward is separate from the ICU. I'm sure all precautions are being taken to stop cross-contamination between different wards.