Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Would you consider this person fat/obese?

So would you consider someone who is 5'2 and 185lb fat? 

yes fat 185 lbs

we weightlifters in shape fine-- average joe noway in opinion

Yes it is obese - I am 167 pounds and not much taller perhaps 1.5 inches  taller  and  I am considered obese

• Wendigo

At one hundred eighty five pounds even a bodybuilder would be considered obese, and potentially at risk for heart problems later in life. Being thirty plus pounds over weight regardless of whether it's fat or muscle, is still classed as being obese.

• DKG

Fatness is a body composition thing.

For a normally proportioned and 'average' type of person, that combination of height and weight would be associated with a severe degree of obesity. For a muscular athelete.. you could be at a reasonable composition and a healthy weight. Height and weight alone are insufficient.

An easier metric is the waist to height ratio, where this is over 50% obesity is likely to have health limiting complications.

• Wendigo

No that would not be even for an athlete bodybuilder or weightlifter a healthy weight, as that's about fifty pounds overweight. Most consider ten to fifteen pounds over, within a safe margin.

Where is the weight? If its all gut yeah help them or yourself lose the weight. Look up athlene x on YouTube. If not they my just be conditioned. My biceps are bigger than most but because of the work I do lifting glass my forarms are almost bigger in size which is really odd. Weight goes where it is needed 

Muscle weighs more than fat, so it really just depends. However, everyone is beautiful no matter what anyone else says :)

They are overweight

that's 64 pounds overweight for that height

• patty

yes somewhat overweight

Well a few factors have to be accounted for before that can be said. Is this person fat or muscular? Do they live an active or sedentary lifestyle? On the surface that doesn’t seem healthy but BMI isn’t always a reliable indicator of health. At 6”5’ 280 lbs Dwayne Johnson would be considered “obese” by BMI’s standard. 

• Rick B

Absolutely.  That is a BMI of 33.83 which is Class I Obesity