Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Is it a good idea to use public wifi to do stuff that you don't want traced back to you ?

I've heard that using public wifi is a good idea if you don't want things traced back to you. I do some things that I don't want traced back to me. Is it a good idea to use public wifi to do things that I don't want traced back to me ?

Depends on what you want to do - and what with. Using an open WiFi may be one step, but by no means the the only - or even the most important one.

• Lv 7

how would you be "traced" differently on a piblic wifi?it's not as though your IP Address takes them to your doorstep.

if you are worried about law enforcement, you should know that most public wifi logs users, and when police come with a warrant, they will know what you've been doing...

plus, Microsoft Edge reports every website you visit, and Google logs all your searches, tying them to your PC...

Nope; Windows 10 allows the HSA  to backdoor your machine at anytime. That was why everyone was Forced to use it. Very few internet connected devices still are allowed to use prior OS.

Public WiFi just allows more intrusion by other entities to unguarded devices.

You would be surprised how much information can be extracted from your computer/device just by connecting to the internet, even more so by connecting to a website or any kind of service.

If you do things you don't want traced back to you then are you some kind of vile troll, or an urban hero ???

if you want true anonymity use burn (single use only, no contracts) devices or virtual private network (or any other PTP connection) to mask your actual IP and locality

It won't make any difference. Everything you do online leaves 'cyber-exhaust' that can be traced directly back to your computer, if authorities have a reason to start searching.