Jim2
Lv 7
Jim2 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Does this article explain why Trump's approval rating is rising?

https://www.wired.com/story/political-science-behi...

It says there are two seemingly conflicting things here. One is that Trump has obviously done a poor job with the coronavirus. The other is that is that in spite of that, his approval rating is rising. The article explains this paradox by stating that Americans always warm up to a president during a time of Crisis.

I must admit that I too have been a victim of this. Somehow I find myself slightly warming up toward Trump. Fortunately others on  here have been able to talk a little sense into me.

PLEASE don't vote for Trump.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Trump’s approval will crater in a month when there are 100,000 Americans dead. The bump he’s received is pathetic in comparison to Bush after 9/11 or other world leaders during this crisis.

• Jim2
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That makes sense. And it may be a whole lot more than 100,000. Birx was saying it would be 200,000 best case scenario, maybe 2 million if people don't take precautions.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Chris
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

No, it utterly fails to offer any explanation and is as asinine an article as one in which someone who denied Trump had any chance of winning in 2016 comes up with some post-hoc explanation of how they knew what was happening all along.

Who exactly HAS done a good job with the coronavirus? Nobody, but this virus is proving Trump correct on every level of his core narratives: we need better border security/travel restrictions, better trade deals, less reliance on China, more of our own medicine/product manufacturing, energy independence, and a "reskilling revolution" as the gig economy and service sector greatly contract.

Trump's approval rating rises because all of his narratives have simultaneously and summarily been confirmed in 2020 more so than ever before.

But for those who rely on the goldfish media to erase our memories every week in order to come up with another angle from which to bash Trump for "not doing enough fast enough" despite travel bans being "racist, so go to Chinatown and hug a Chinese person," of course China, the WHO, and the EU are the ones we should be following. Hahaha.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jim2
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

What made the difference was testing and early adoption of control measures.

• 2 months ago

If you don't want Trump to win, you better convince the DNC to get a better candidate than Sleepy Joe Biden

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Other than saying some things differently, what could Trump have done -- single-handedly, with ONLY the powers of the president -- to better the outcome? 

• ...Show all comments
    • Jim2
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

We could have had test kits from WHO. But someone decided to have the CDC produce them, and the first batch was flawed. Had we tested enough people, we could have isolated more and thus prevented the virus from catching hold the way it did.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You should have seen Bush's approval right after 9/11.

• Daddio
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe they are getting tired of the media/dems constantly hating and making the pandemic political 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.