Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Why do we care about what people say?

You can say that you don’t care as much as you want, but I think that unless you are an emotionless sociopath, we all can get pissed off by something that someone tell us. Just as everyone else, I have heard a fair amount of bullshit in my life: I have been insulted or I have listened to very ignorant stuff during my life, and mostly I just laughed about it. But still, in some cases, I am really pissed off by some bullshit that some people say, even if (I would say, especially if) I perfectly know that that thing is bullshit and it is completely incorrect. So, why do we, as humans, get pissed off and feel bad about bullshit others say, even if we, rationally, are perfectly aware that it’s just bullshit?

EDIT: for those who say “I don’t give a shi*”: 1) I also mostly don’t give a flying shi*, but there are some SPECIFIC cases where I can’t help getting pissed off. That’s the point of the question: why are there some SPECIFIC things that bother us?

2) Stop lying. Unless you are a sociopath, there will always be at least a little amount of things that piss you off

We're social creatures, even if you want to admit it or not. Plus, you don't validate yourself, but seek validation from others. If you know 2+2=4, no opinion or sentence or news article can change that, because it comes from within, not from outside of you. If you want to feel like you're right, you can, and only you can do it.

• Pi

I think a lot of people feel that way even unto adulthood because of their upbringing and certainly the kind of people that their parents were.

I was raise by my dad who was a struggling businessman with many failures and hardships until he succeeded.

After that he went back to try his hand at businesses that he had failed at and began succeed at those.

He simultaneous did not buy out already established but founded restaurants, bakeries, furniture stores and even had a shrimp and watercress farm and sold to major supermarkets.

Before I left for college I asked him why he all of a sudden began having such successes and his answer was that most people quit when they fail the first few times and don't learn from their mistakes.

Additionally the people who criticized his early efforts knew nothing about business to begin with.

I work in broadcast media consulting and production and have found that the more successful my clients are the more brutal and numerous the amount of trolling and criticism so it comes with the territory UNLESS what you are being criticized for are stupid decisions that you constantly keep making.

• Carol

As I have got older I only care about what people I like or admire say about me. I honestly don't care what idiots or people who don't know me say about me. I don't even bother to correct wrong things the latter say about me as I really don't worry about what they think of me.

• amy

its called learning not to personalise. dont let other peoples words or actions dictate how you feel or behave.

Actually i'm one of the people who don't get affected my bullshit. I've played online games enough to be immune to them. I mean, sure it sucks to see someone say mean stuff but I usually pity them more than anything else. Especially stuff like "**** yourself" which is totally f*cked up and makes me think what a messed up and uneducated person they must be to say that. And if it's not bullshit stuff then my heart will race a bit but I mostly find confrontation exciting and fun, but this is about online strangers not friends and family obviously.

"You're gay."

-"Yeah, I proved the hell out of that last night!"

Calling a gay guy gay isn't offensive to him because he doesn't need to defend an opposing theory. Calling a straight and insecure guy gay is in fact damaging to his sense of self. In his mind, he's not gay, but he did overly notice the guys in porno. A physical and ego threat are the same. I'll beat you up for storming into my house or saying I'm not the coolest dude ever.

Whatever it might be, we feel threatened by opposition to our concepts of ourselves or the world we believe in. "That Dress" a while ago where a picture of a dress became a massive internet war was because some people saw it as gold, some people saw it as purple. It would be as infuriating as a Twilight Zone episode where everyone insists you're not Joe the banker, you are Dave the contractor.

You know you are an intelligent valuable person. But someone calling you a stupid a--hole is fighting words because they are a direct affront to your ego.

• because we all have feelings and in general, people want to be accepted not shunned or insulted, it signals being cast out from the pack.

who gives a diarrhea, i dont give a single poopy butt